Does it offend you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyKettleBrewing

Reaction score
I have an artist friend creating a label image. I had a name but to my chagrin, it has already been taken. Being of Italian descent, first generation Americano, I find no offense in some names associated with us...Italians. What's your take?

"Hair of the Wop"

Can be used as my homebrewery name or simply a style.
Original name, "Strongarm Brewing".

I will unveil final logo in a seperate and appropriate HBT forum.

Cheers,
Hairy Italian

I like it.
You could also put it in Italian. Google translation "i capelli del wop"

Now I need to come up with something with "cracker" in it.

I like it.
You could also put it in Italian. Google translation "i capelli del wop"

Now I need to come up with something with "cracker" in it.

Yes! I likey!

It is my experience that if you are going to use the term "Cracker", you will need to brew in your bathtub in a trailer or, "a van..down by the river!". Peckerwood rolls of just as clean as Cracker.

"A man's discretion makes him slow to anger, And it is his glory to overlook a transgression..." especially when there's beer involved.

An old friend and roommate of mine was Italian and Irish, called him "Dego Paddy McWop". Now I need to come up with a brew that fits that description, brew it, label it and send him one

Yes! I likey!

It is my experience that if you are going to use the term "Cracker", you will need to brew in your bathtub in a trailer or, "a van..down by the river!". Peckerwood rolls of just as clean as Cracker.

Believe it or not there is a community about 5 miles down the road from me called Peckerwood. I kid you not!
Peckerwood might be a good name for my wheat beer since it is a yellowish color anyway. (Yellow Hammer wood pecker)

Strongarm Brewery......would you be the same person that started Beer Labelizer?

No, the name came to me and I thought it was clever. Just not quick enough. Apparently they (Strongarm) are a nano brewery. I do not know where they are located, seemed like a startup. Hope they do well.

Believe it or not there is a community about 5 miles down the road from me called Peckerwood. I kid you not!
Peckerwood might be a good name for my wheat beer since it is a yellowish color anyway. (Yellow Hammer wood pecker)

I like the name. Maybe a picture of a woodpecker trying to get through some prison bars. You can add a wop in the background if you like. There are some crazy city names out there. We have one in CA called Zzyzx. It is in the Mojave desert so I don't think anyone cares. We always try to pronounce the name passing by on the way to Vegas.

When the old man was working for GM in the early-mid 70s, one of his coworkers asked him if he was an Indian (Native American)... He said yes... she asked him what tribe... he said he was a "Wopaho"... there's one born every minute, she believed him and spread it all around their plant :D Old man was a card, sadly he is dealing with alzheimer's now and I am afraid I am going to expire before he does

When the old man was working for GM in the early-mid 70s, one of his coworkers asked him if he was an Indian (Native American)... He said yes... she asked him what tribe... he said he was a "Wopaho"... there's one born every minute, she believed him and spread it all around their plant :D Old man was a card, sadly he is dealing with alzheimer's now and I am afraid I am going to expire before he does

Too funny, indian story that is. My wife leaves for WA in two weeks to see her grandfather. They are/were very close but he suffers the same condition. Hopefully the stories of our forefathers are passed on to the younger ones. I believe native Americans passed down knowledge to generations through stories. Maybe... your dad is an indian. Keep the faith and keep telling his stories.

I like the name. Maybe a picture of a woodpecker trying to get through some prison bars. You can add a wop in the background if you like. There are some crazy city names out there. We have one in CA called Zzyzx. It is in the Mojave desert so I don't think anyone cares. We always try to pronounce the name passing by on the way to Vegas.

I can't count the number of times I've driven by the Zzyzx off the 15 over the years. Still can't pronounce it.

To answer your OP, no, not that easily offended.

And hey, I just noticed, I'm in Carlsbad too!

Too funny, indian story that is. My wife leaves for WA in two weeks to see her grandfather. They are/were very close but he suffers the same condition. Hopefully the stories of our forefathers are passed on to the younger ones. I believe native Americans passed down knowledge to generations through stories. Maybe... your dad is an indian. Keep the faith and keep telling his stories.

Thanks, man :) and very sorry to hear about your wife's grandad

I can't count the number of times I've driven by the Zzyzx off the 15 over the years. Still can't pronounce it.

To answer your OP, no, not that easily offended.

And hey, I just noticed, I'm in Carlsbad too!

I have two other friends that are brewing in Carlsbad, we should all get together for a Big Batch Summer Brew Down! We have also participated in the NC Home Brewers Association. You may want to check it out. Meetings are once a month.

I have two other friends that are brewing in Carlsbad, we should all get together for a Big Batch Summer Brew Down! We have also participated in the NC Home Brewers Association. You may want to check it out. Meetings are once a month.

I'd be up for a local get together. I'm brand new to this hobby. By "brand new", I mean I just pitched my first batch about 10 minutes ago (a dry Irish Stout extract kit). I could use all the tips and suggestions I can get. In exchange, I'd be willing to provide taste tests and feedback. :D

I'll be posting a bit and lurking around here regularly... will also check out the NC brewers, thanks.

Cheers,
Erich

I'm not exactly the most politically correct guy in the world, but even I don't think it's particularly creative.. not to mention I don't understand naming beers in the first place outside of a commercial setting. You going to brew a stout with the "N" word "creatively" inserted into the name? We've got (more than) our fair share of Mexicans here in southern California, so how about a "wet back" wet hop ale? My point is where do you draw the line?

When the old man was working for GM in the early-mid 70s, one of his coworkers asked him if he was an Indian (Native American)... He said yes... she asked him what tribe... he said he was a "Wopaho"... there's one born every minute, she believed him and spread it all around their plant :D

That's classic, man!! :ban: Best wishes to your pops, I have a grandfather who's mind is starting to slip a lot, it's very hard to deal with.

Wopaho.... hilarious!!! :rockin:

Not offended, but i like Strongarm better. Who cares if it's taken? It's like trying to come up with a name for a band, or song, or book that hasn't already been taken. It's almost impossible in this day and age. Think back 20 years ago before google and everyone had their own webpage. You would've come up with Strongarm and said, "Brilliant!! That's what we're using." First brewery to get popular wins.

Thanks, man :) and very sorry to hear about your wife's grandad

Thank you too. He has lived a very good and interesting life. He could not tell you what he ate for breakfast but he could tell me, in great detail, every aspect of his gun collection. An awesome man.

That's classic, man!! :ban: Best wishes to your pops, I have a grandfather who's mind is starting to slip a lot, it's very hard to deal with.

Wopaho.... hilarious!!! :rockin:

Thanks and thanks, brother :) Sorry to hear about your grandad.. it's a hard row to hoe, as they say

I'm not exactly the most politically correct guy in the world, but even I don't think it's particularly creative.. not to mention I don't understand naming beers in the first place outside of a commercial setting. You going to brew a stout with the "N" word "creatively" inserted into the name? We've got (more than) our fair share of Mexicans here in southern California, so how about a "wet back" wet hop ale? My point is where do you draw the line?

Won't argue your opinion but as far as "naming", I intend to make a generic label and ink in the beer style and other info. I pass out many of my beers to friends. Growing up, I was referred to as the WOP. You would be surprised to learn the origin of the word.

Yeah, I'm offended. I also agree that it's juvenile and not clever.

I can take the bad with the good. I am seriously immature, but I like me that way. I guess "juvenile" fits well. Thank you and I'm honored you read my post.

Not offended, but i like Strongarm better. Who cares if it's taken? It's like trying to come up with a name for a band, or song, or book that hasn't already been taken. It's almost impossible in this day and age. Think back 20 years ago before google and everyone had their own webpage. You would've come up with Strongarm and said, "Brilliant!! That's what we're using." First brewery to get popular wins.

I liked it as well.

Won't argue your opinion but as far as "naming", I intend to make a generic label and ink in the beer style and other info. I pass out many of my beers to friends. Growing up, I was referred to as the WOP. You would be surprised to learn the origin of the word.

You still didn't answer the final question I posed: where does one draw the line?
Semantic and/or etymological excuses don't cut it with me (I'm a linguist by training, I know where wop probably originates from) because the majority of racial epithets undoubtedly didn't start off as being derogatory. The fact that wop is even borderline derogatory would make me want to think of something else, man.. especially when there are many more aspects of Italian culture one could commemorate.

TheBeerist said:
You still didn't answer the final question I posed: where does one draw the line?
Semantic and/or etymological excuses don't cut it with me (I'm a linguist by training, I know where wop probably originates from) because the majority of racial epithets undoubtedly didn't start off as being derogatory. The fact that wop is even borderline derogatory would make me want to think of something else, man.. especially when there are many more aspects of Italian culture one could commemorate.

If it's being said without malice, who cares? Why does there need to be a line? Words are only as powerful as we let them be. Name your beers whatever you like.

The lines are moved every day. I can't answer your question as it varies for each person. For me, the line has now been replaced by what I would call, "The Grey Area". Some slurs or RACIAL EPITHETS are more socially acceptable than others. I will not state any more of them here as I do not wish to further offend some of my fellow brewers. I am still berated for using the word "Oriental" to describe something more than a rug. I love my wife for setting me straight and she still loves the boy in me.

True, there are many wonderful things about Italian culture that I could have honored with a beer label. I chose something that my friends could relate to as it was used in my adolescent life.

So...would you buy a beer with a demeaning phrase on it? I have had my fair share of "Arrogant Bastard". I also just had a friend of mine bring back some "Polygamy Porter" from Wasatch in Utah. In the end, they are just words. Amazing how so many people think that being a bastard is cool.

Latest posts

Back