looking back on my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
As I have said, I jumped into AG with both feet. I have some new to me equipment, and I have decided to work on my efficency one step at a time. Last time I brewed, my water to grain ratio in the mash was off due to trying to get the grain temp EXACTLY right. It was only off 2 degrees and I should have left it at that. Looking back, 150 instead of 152 wouldn't have hurt, but getting the mash mix too thin changed other things and my before boil OG was too low as a result I think.
Also, I don't have a way to control my fermentation temp as of yet. As I believe temperature is the key to better beer, I am going to work on those two temperature related issues first.
I can still make beer, but the whole idea of me switching to AG was to make BETTER beer. I mean, I bought kegs and added valves and sight glassses, bought new bigger burners and even polished the kegs, but didn't pay enough attention to the most basic ideas of brewing problems, temperature control. I am gone a lot, just like this week, we will be gone for 7 days and the fermenter is on its own at ambiant temps. That will range from mid 70s to mid 80s...not good :^(
So now I am on the hunt for a mini-fridge and will pay more attention to staying close to the 1.25 quart water to 1 lb grain ratio at close to proper temp.
Have a good brewing weekend, we are on a road trip!

Don't worry about the 1.25 allot do it a different ratios. Controlling the fermentation temp sanitation and water are my top 3 must haves when brewing. And ya proper pitching rate.

Latest posts

Back