SS Tubing for Mash Tun Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Dog's Brewing

Reaction score
Ok Guys I know most manifolds on the bottom of mash tuns are copper. Well I have an almost infinite supply of different styles and sizes of SS Swagelock fitting. I have an Idea to make my manifold for the bottom of my rectangular mash tun. I will be using 1/2" ID tubing and fitting. I will go around the entire perimeter and will also have a center leg (like Palmer's in How to Brew).

My question is the slots and/or the holes. I am thinking slits cut in the bottom. That way the grain silt wont clog up the openings and I think the beer would be really clear. I will use a dremel to slot it. Would holes drilled be better. I have a drill press so drilling the stainless will be easy.

I am looking for any and all suggestions. I think it will work really well. Also I will be using a SS ball valve also. I love working at a power plant.

Thanks in advance guys. I figure it will probably tale 10,000,000 slits to go all the way around...... .well maybe not that many.'

I use a false bottom, but I seem to recall manifold designs having the slots or holes on TOP for a purpose. I beleive that purpose was to reduce channeling along the sides and bottom of the tun (path of less resistance). This of course would increase your efficiency. I would not worry so much about grains clogging your manifold, many people use them and many people have great success. A false bottom just has a million holes in the top of it, and they almost never clog either. Anyone else?

Also, clear beer wil result from a good grain bed more than where your slots are located. A good boil and using something like Irish Moss or Whirflock will also make it really clear. Remember, EVERYTHING settles out ofyour beer, everything, most settles out before it even hits your fermentor.

Pol

Back