Home brewing is better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand, most of the homes on the "mainland" are heated and air conditioned. To save money heating is kept in the 60's at night which is great for brewing and perhaps 70's during the days.

My home has open windows to catch the mountain or sea breeze most of the time, but when we lock up, man it can get hot inside. Think I need a cool one.:drunk:

Actually, up where I am, most houses are heated, but not many have central air... Most of us are stuck with window AC units to fight the heat during the summer. Luckily, we don't get a lot of HOT days each year... Maybe 2-4 weeks total, on average. Still, it's nice to have your place below 80F when you get home in the summer. It also helps when you can sleep in a bit cooler temps (I like it under 70-75F for sleeping)...

So, not counting during the summer, when it can get hot/nasty, glasses are around/under ~70-75F up here... So, from ~35F to 75F is a 40F shift... Even if the brew gets warmed 20F by the glass (could be stretching it) it would still be in the 55F area...

When summer hits, if I'm still where I am not (I do so hope that I'm not) I'll have to test with a room temp glass, and maybe another put into the freezer for a very short amount of time. I'm talking about maybe 10-15 minutes to start... I'll probably try in the fridge too, just to see how it compares... Of course, it will be even easier when I get a keezer... Then, I can just set it's temp, and store the glasses right there too. :D

Actually, up where I am, most houses are heated, but not many have central air... Most of us are stuck with window AC units to fight the heat during the summer. Luckily, we don't get a lot of HOT days each year... Maybe 2-4 weeks total, on average. Still, it's nice to have your place below 80F when you get home in the summer. It also helps when you can sleep in a bit cooler temps (I like it under 70-75F for sleeping)...

So, not counting during the summer, when it can get hot/nasty, glasses are around/under ~70-75F up here... So, from ~35F to 75F is a 40F shift... Even if the brew gets warmed 20F by the glass (could be stretching it) it would still be in the 55F area...

When summer hits, if I'm still where I am not (I do so hope that I'm not) I'll have to test with a room temp glass, and maybe another put into the freezer for a very short amount of time. I'm talking about maybe 10-15 minutes to start... I'll probably try in the fridge too, just to see how it compares... Of course, it will be even easier when I get a keezer... Then, I can just set it's temp, and store the glasses right there too. :D

Even in the summer, if there is a night time mauka (from the mts) breeze sleeping temps are in the mid 70's. Winter nights it can go down to low 60's which means for us thin blooded people pulling up the quilts. :0) :mug:

What trail head do you hike? I have been hitting up 3 peaks for a few weeks now. Getting ready to tackle k1 with a couple buddies for an overnight hike. For you mainlanders, check out "K1 Oahu Hawaii" on youtube. EPIC

I'm a bit confused about all that talk about the proper head height. When I pour a beer, I try to keep the glass as parallel to the ground as possible to avoid any foaming. I feel like the foaming just flattens the beer and gets all over my face when I try to drink it. What's the point of having the head? Here is a picture of a pint I poured of my first brew. (I found a bottle of it at my mom's house 3 years after it was put in the fridge)
Wfx9X.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the gigantic picture.

A lot has to due with the style of the brew... Some you want a nice head on it (but still get the full bottle into the glass). Others you don't want much head at all on it, or for it to not last for long. So, in the case of pale ales, depending on the sub-style, you might have a decent head that falls pretty fast. Where with a stout, you want a nice thick head that lasts for either the entire brew, or at least the majority of it...

Depending on the brew, I alter my pouring method... Some I need to control the head formation more, so I pour on a slant. Others I want the head to form early, so I pour right to the bottom for the first bit, then slant...

What trail head do you hike? I have been hitting up 3 peaks for a few weeks now. Getting ready to tackle k1 with a couple buddies for an overnight hike. For you mainlanders, check out "K1 Oahu Hawaii" on youtube. EPIC

:off: I hike every Wed and Sun. Done K1-K2 great hike. PM me if you want to continue to talk bout hiking. :mug:

Latest posts

Back