Dry Yeast Fermentation Speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkade

Reaction score
Due to laziness, I've been using a lot of dry yeast lately (US-05 or S-04) and noticed that it ferments unbelievably fast. Even with similar pitching rates after good starters for liquid yeasts, I feel like my dry yeast fermentations go much faster. The strange thing is that even though the terminal gravity will reach the same point, it seems like the dry yeast fermentation will be less vigorous for a shorter period of time with more controlled krausen. For example, I brewed 6 gallons an IPA on Saturday with OG of 1.092 and pitched 500 million cells of dry yeast. It was bubbling in a few hours, vigorous on Sunday and practically done by Monday night. I haven't checked its FG since I will wait a few weeks regardless, but I'm sure it will be properly attenuated. Has anyone else had experiences like this with dry yeast. Is there any rhyme or reason for this type of behavior? Thanks.

I get that all the time with US05 and S04. They're both great yeasts. I also love the fact that the trub seems to compact a LOT more with S04.

i'm a big fan of s-04. great yeast. works most of it's magic in less than 48 hours. everything you saw is typical.

I'm assuming you mean S-04 and US-05? S-04 is a more traditional yeast that's good with english beers, US-05 is a neutral american yeast like Wyeast 1056. S-04 has more bready and fruity flavors to it.

It's awesome for stuck fermentations as well. I had a beer with WLP320 die out on me (it was still only 1.020 after 2 weeks in primary). I pitched a rehydrated packet of us-05 and dropped to 1.008 in 3 days.

Those yeast do indeed rock. It's typical for me to rehydrate and have fermenation activitiy within 4 to 5 hours. The S-04 can really produce a lot of esters, especially at higher temperatures, so if you don't want that go with the cleaner 05.

Latest posts

Back