Whiskey Barrel Filled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday our brew club transfered our robust porter into a barrel. There were 7 brewers who used the same recipe. Our local brewpub was kind enough to donate our ingredients. We all did seperate batches on our own systems and we blended them all together. We tasted from each carboy before racking to the barrel. This has been a pretty fun project. I can't wait to taste the results.

2010-02-28_12_53_04.jpg

2010-02-28_12_53_20.jpg

2010-02-28_12_53_43.jpg

2010-02-28_13_22_39.jpg

2010-02-28_13_23_17.jpg

2010-02-28_13_23_46.jpg

Holy moly, where did you get that barrel, and how many of your firstborns did it cost? Did you have to treat it before you used it? Did it still have whiskey in the bottom of it? What's the meaning of life?

We got the barrel from Stranahan's in Denver.
http://www.stranahans.com/

It was not too bad. I think we paid about $70. They only use their barrels once. It had a bit of fluid in it when we got it. We added a bottle of Jim Beam and rolled it around to keep it moist and sanitize it a bit. Then we added a bit more Jim yesterday and rolled it around before we racked to it.

Sweet! Great pics.
Our club has two barrel prjects going right now. It's a great way to get members involved. We have an RIS in one and a Wee Heavy in the other and like you we can't wait for tasting.

Prost!

We got the barrel from Stranahan's in Denver.
http://www.stranahans.com/

It was not too bad. I think we paid about $70. They only use their barrels once. It had a bit of fluid in it when we got it. We added a bottle of Jim Beam and rolled it around to keep it moist and sanitize it a bit. Then we added a bit more Jim yesterday and rolled it around before we racked to it.

mmm.. good whiskey

Do they sell their barrel's to the public pretty regularly? That seems like a great deal.

I am not too sure of the details. One of the other guys in the club arranged it. I think you need to get on a list of some sort. I think he called them and reserved a barrel. It sounds like they regularly sell them to the public if you ask.

Man, I hope you didn't add too much whiskey. I brewed a robust porter and used 2 oz of Maker's Mark and an ounce of oak chips in a 5 gallon batch and thought it was too intense. The barrel presumably has some whiskey remaining, plus more than a bottle of Beam? I guess you can always brew more and blend if the whiskey and/or oak profile is too strong. Good luck!

We are going to test it every couple of weeks. We figured it to be 1/200th of the volume. So it should not be too bad. I do not like whiskey actually. So I think I will end up aging my share a bit longer in bottles or purged keg. Let it mellow out even further.

I am excited to see how it will turn out.

So do you all plan to rack about 5 gallons back into your own carboys and go from there? After the first post I kept thinking how insanely awful it would be to bottle that much beer at once!

Howdy,

We have a mix of people who keg and bottle so when we rack out we'll be doing both.
I suppose if you purged a carboy with CO2 first you could take it and rack it later on.
We just sampled our over the weekwnd and they're both awesome!

Cheers.

What club you associated with Brewmoor?

My club (KROC out of Broomfield/Westminster) has 2 Stranahan's barrels we're planning to fill with a Kentucky Common pretty soon. One guy has the barrels and has already created a small batch of the beer for testing.

I am not too sure of the details. One of the other guys in the club arranged it. I think you need to get on a list of some sort. I think he called them and reserved a barrel. It sounds like they regularly sell them to the public if you ask.

What club are you in? I am in KROC and 5280 Fermentation Society

is the beer already fermented are you aging it in the barrel or are you fermenting in the barrel if you are aging is it sealed if so are you worried about continued fermentation creating pressure in the barrel?

Not sure where Roaring Fork is but Glenwood Springs is a great place. My HBC is going to go on a tour there soon. And an attorney in my office knows them somehow because she mentioned them to me and suggested a tour

So we finally emptied the keg two weekends ago. I have been lazy getting the pictures posted. Here are two of the barrel being emptied.

2010-04-10_18_18_49.jpg

2010-04-10_18_24_46.jpg

Thats 's awesome. Do you have another beer going into the barrel soon? How long was the beer in there? Some friends and I are planning to do this with a big barleywine. We're planning out the logistics now. Hopefully brewing next month.

Back