World Beer Fest--Durham, OCT 7th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
DURHAM WORLD BEER FEST

I think we should do another HBT get together. Make plans now! I put the leave in the books already!

I plan on doing both sessions this time, maybe if we get a good group we can do the same thing we did last time, but in between sessions we can meet at our hotel room and sample homebrew and hang out by the pool or something.

Who else is in?

That all sounds great and all, but I can't help but think why is dude posting this on his special day. Why isn't Mrs. Dude doing her thang and keeping you from the keyboard today and helping you celebrate your b-day.

hmmm, unless she IS helping you....

have to ponder...rock on:rockin:

no offense of course....ride your own brew!

Spyk'd said:
That all sounds great and all, but I can't help but think why is dude posting this on his special day. Why isn't Mrs. Dude doing her thang and keeping you from the keyboard today and helping you celebrate your b-day.

hmmm, unless she IS helping you....

have to ponder...rock on:rockin:

no offense of course....ride your own brew!

Mrs. Dude is currently in Alabama for another 3 weeks. The dude meanwhile, abides. :rockin:

Hah! Ms. Spyk'd is currently in Arizona....I feel your pain.....really, I do.

It's been 5 weeks here...

Oh I feel you!

EDIT: Oh and the best part, MY birthday is on June 16th...I will have to abide as well...

Well, we're due September 29th and I've already acquired a pass for going to the race in Charlotte October 14th, so I'm pretty much out of contention for this one. I don't think I could survive two sessions, anyways.

But have fun...it should be comparable to the Raleigh festival in terms of the beers available (or perhaps more since the Durham festival is more established), and the ballpark is a much better venue...a lot more space to relax and sample, less like being in a cow run.

Dude said:
DURHAM WORLD BEER FEST

I think we should do another HBT get together. Make plans now! I put the leave in the books already!

I plan on doing both sessions this time, maybe if we get a good group we can do the same thing we did last time, but in between sessions we can meet at our hotel room and sample homebrew and hang out by the pool or something.

Who else is in?

that beer lineup is awesome! I may have to head down to NC for this one. :drunk:

anyone get a hotel room yet? the crown plaza is all booked up. Can anyone provide a thumbs up or thumbs down on the quality of the Hilton, La Quinta, and Carolina Duke Motor Inn?

Spyk'd said:
Hah! Ms. Spyk'd is currently in Arizona....I feel your pain.....really, I do.

what are you guys complaining about? I'd LOVE to send my wife to Alabama or Arizone for a few weeks. I might get some peace and quiet around the house. :)

I should be able to go to the festival, Dude. The Walker's are in.

-walker

the walker's plan to attend, but I might have to convince the BOSTONBREW-ETTES to baby sit my little ones.

-walker

No convincing will be necessary: They all thought Garron was adorable and they will just love Meera.
jeff

Okay, looks like tix are on sale.

What session are we doing? I say afternoon, then we can hang out (go out, hotel party, etc.) for the evening. I won't wuss out this time, I took leave. I'll be plenty rested. :D

HurricaneFloyd said:
anyone get a hotel room yet? the crown plaza is all booked up. Can anyone provide a thumbs up or thumbs down on the quality of the Hilton, La Quinta, and Carolina Duke Motor Inn?

We got a room at the Mariott. Might want to check it.

BTW, the reason I don't think we should do 2 sessions now is that the prices went up 5 bucks for tix. We could have a party at the hotel for MUCH less than that. :D

Dude said:
We got a room at the Mariott. Might want to check it.

BTW, the reason I don't think we should do 2 sessions now is that the prices went up 5 bucks for tix. We could have a party at the hotel for MUCH less than that. :D

is there a shuttle from the Marriot?

How much are they charging per night? It looks like the official hotel Millennium Hotel Durham is 10 bucks cheaper.

We're booked at the Millennium. Any idea why the site says "over 120 breweries" but the list of breweries only shows 18? Last year's list is also posted and is much longer...

We missed tickets for this last time... saw it too late. Along those lines, how is this thread in "Discussion of Beers from Australia, Africa, Antartica, and beyond Earth if the day should come." instead of "Post on upcoming events, competition, parties, or any beer related get together you want."? In other words, shouldn't it be in "Gatherings"?

Dude, I'm a definite maybe. SWMBO is due with our rugrat earlier that week or sometime the previous week - like the Barron - but there are a lot of variables, namely 1) exactly when he gets here, 2) whether or not the family will be in town to assist, and 3) whether or not I can acquire a cheauffeur between Durham and Goldsboro as I'm obviously not going to get an over-night kitchen pass. I'll keep monitoring this thread for the details, but if I'm able to make it, I definitely want to meet up with the HBT crew at the festival and possibly the hotel for some socializing and homebrew sampling (although, being deployed for the last 4 months, I won't have any of my own to offer :( ).

If I can get a group together with a shuttle driver, would it be gauche to bring a small crowd of Air Force people along?

Barron,
What's this gig in Charolette on the 14th. Like you, that sounds a little more likely given the uncertainty of the procreation schedule.

Focus

I'm in, I've got a ticket for the "EVENING" session. I'm going stag, SWMBO is flying to Boston to visit the relies. Who else is going from the GRABASS crew? I'll need to hitch a ride with someone.
Jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
I'm in, I've got a ticket for the "EVENING" session. I'm going stag, SWMBO is flying to Boston to visit the relies. Who else is going from the GRABASS crew? I'll need to hitch a ride with someone.
Jeff

Damn. I heard the afternoon session is the one to do because some of the good beers run out by the evening. I also heard it is like a drunken frat party with idiots running around at the night session.

I was hoping we could all do the afternoon........

Oops....I'll see if I can exchange my evening ticket for an afternoon ticket.

BeerLuvnGrl said:
kewl so we will buy afternoon tickets.... im sure you can boston.. did you buy em local?

Yeah, Whole Foods in Cary. The tickets say "No refund/No exchange" but I'm sending Beth over to do my dirty work. She can coax the birds out of the trees.

i still need to get my tickets for this. afternoon it is, correct?

i won't be able to drink too much, but I wouldn't miss the fest for the world.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Yeah, Whole Foods in Cary. The tickets say "No refund/No exchange" but I'm sending Beth over to do my dirty work. She can coax the birds out of the trees.

even if they won't exchange them, I al 100% positive that you will be able to sell your eve tix while waiting in line for the aftrnoon session.

thanks. I'm hanging in here pretty well. I was actually able to leave the quiet darkness of my bedroom today for a couple of hours. Theh my daughter decided to crank up the volume and I scampered away.

I'm in a lot of pain, and I won't be drinking any beer for a while, but....

I'm still alive.

Walker-san said:
thanks. I'm hanging in here pretty well. I was actually able to leave the quiet darkness of my bedroom today for a couple of hours. Theh my daughter decided to crank up the volume and I scampered away.

I'm in a lot of pain, and I won't be drinking any beer for a while, but....

I'm still alive.

Good to see ya bro. Got your text message last night, you heel. :p

Can't wait to see you guys in Oct.

Sounds like possibly another good turnout from the HBT peeps! Can't wait!

Dude,

which Marriott are you staying at? The Civic Center or the one near Duke? I'm not sure which one is closer.
Anyone staying at the Clarion? The Millenium is a bit out of my price range.

Oh yeah, and I bought tix to the afternoon session!

i'm a decent drive from durham (30 min), but if enough people are coming, I can have a little shin-dig at my place that evenining or sunday. i'd even let a couple of you crash at my house of ya want. i've got a spare bedroom and everything.

oh... and it's likely I won't be able to drink, so I would make an excellent designated driver.

Walker-san said:
i'm a decent drive from durham (30 min), but if enough people are coming, I can have a little shin-dig at my place that evenining or sunday. i'd even let a couple of you crash at my house of ya want. i've got a spare bedroom and everything.

oh... and it's likely I won't be able to drink, so I would make an excellent designated driver.

Why don't you put Mr. & Mrs. Dude up for the night and I'll provide lodging at my place for Hurricane Floyd? We can all rendezvous back at your place/my place afterwards for homebrew & poker?

sounds like a plan to me. what say ye, floyd and dude?

-walker

PS: I'm having some cafe Randall this morning. very tastey.

Walker-san said:
sounds like a plan to me. what say ye, floyd and dude?

-walker

PS: I'm having some cafe Randall this morning. very tastey.

Nice coffee, organically grown from El Salvador IIRC

Back