question for BCS-460 users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
Question for all you BCS-460 users:

Do you have manual switches for your elements?

In my current setup, I have PID's controlling SSR's. I also have a DPST switch so I can switch element off quickly and easily. I may rebuild my rig again - I was a single tier I've decided - and was contemplating doing BCS-460 or something like this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/control-panel-99717/index6.html

I'm thinking if I have switches for the elements outside of the BCS-460 it sorta ruins the whole point of it bcs I will still have to do some possible "manual" stuff. However, the BCS-460 would be pretty cool and "cleaner"...

I don't use the BCS, but I'm using the BrewTroller, and yes I do have separate switches for all elements and pumps.

Here is a mockup of mine:

28uwlz.jpg

Rather than defeating the purpose of automation, I see it as complementing it. This gives you the manual control to do whatever you want, without having to setup everything through the system.

I ran switches to the outlet to be able to use it as a kill switch to kill current to anything that I needed to. Pumps, elements, etc.

I'm planning on doing an all hot panel with outlets that are hot all the time so I can switch wires around if I need to (pumps) for manual control.

Disclaimer: I'm having trouble with my little project box with 1 SSR that I'm using as a test box. I think it's either the relay or my stupidity with the BCS.

Pictures:
Switch
IMG00185.jpg

Box
IMG00184.jpg

Jumper for kill switch
IMG00181.jpg

3-way switches work well. For pumps and/or heating elements
  1. On - Manual
  2. Off - Disconnected
  3. Auto - Connected to SSR controlled via BCS
You can always force an output manually via the BCS-460 interface, but for pumps its really nice to be able to prime it by flipping a switch. Also useful for cleaning.

One other reason that I just thought of, is that I'm only using a 2000watt element in my kettle. During the sparge, as soon as the element is submerged, I can kick the heat on to get ready for the boil. By the time the sparge is over the wort is at a near boil.

Back