Headspace when racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulster0

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the hobby and would welcome some advice.
Currently making a few batches of country style wines. ....Beetroot, BlackBerry and an Elderberry.
They are nearly finished secondary fermentation in one gallon demijohns and I'm approaching the time to rack of the lees and age for a while.
I am aware I can top up with water or a similar wine or even glass marbles to stop to much 02 coming into contact with the wine but is it possible or acceptable to squirt some c02 into the Headspace to exclude the 02?
I have a welding plant which uses c02 and argon gas and have been wondering whether a squirt of this could take the place of topping of with water or adding marbles?
Any advice much appreciated.
Steve.

Ive never made wine but ive done stuff like this for my beers to avoid oxidation. I try to purge the vessel before and after racking. Seems to work pretty well for hop foward IPAs that are very susceptible to oxygen

Ah thanks for the reply.
I've done some more googling and it seems others have done the same so I am going to try it.
Cheers.

Ah thanks for the reply.
I've done some more googling and it seems others have done the same so I am going to try it.
Cheers.

Remember that the ideal gas law and Boyle's law state that all gasses seek equilibrium. This would work for the very short term, but since oxygen can come in through the plastic of the airlock and even through the water in the airlock while whatever you put in will dissipate, it isn't a long term solution.

Latest posts

Back