Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Lover

Reaction score
Doing my first batch and when I racked being a novice I didn't get a straight flow in the line. I kept getting bubbles about 2-6" from the pump to the line. (using common the auto siphon) Anyway, I had to pump more than I thought I should have. I thought 1-2 pumps and it would do its thing. So I watched and pumped tying to get a air free flow for half the batch. Then I took the pump out and pushed the hose all the way up to the 45 angle as I heard air coming in. I guess I didn't have the hose up far enough to make a complete seal. So for the last half I got it right and it was free flowing perfectly with no air bubbles. The bubbles weren't huge and it was still a good flow when I first started but like I said from the beginning of the hose to about 4-5 inches down the hose was half full of beer and sucking air. I know oxygenating the beer is bad and am afraid I made a major blunder. I guess time will tell . What do you guys think? Thanks, Ben

it shouldn't be a problem. i would avoid it as much as possible in the future, but i've had that experience a number of times and the brew turned out fine

from one Ben to another, enjoy your first batch!

:mug:

Thanks guys, I didn't think it would be that big a deal but being new the process and seeing "BAD, BAD, BAD Dont let any O2 get your beer!" in every book I've read. I was kinda worried and pissed at myself for letting the bubbles go that long. But ita all a learning experience I guess. Thanks again for the reassurance fellow Brewers!:ban:

Really, the important thing is that you didn't just let it go. The point is to TRY to avoid oxydation whenever possible. My autosyphon does the same thing, but I found that a twist-tie is perfect for cinching up the leak in a jiffy.

oxidation becomes a problem with age, just make sure you finish up the beer before it gets too old. ;)

(It'll be fine)

Back