Citra Cascade ice cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
I added 1 oz citra and 1 oz cascade to near boiling water and stirred and agitated for 10 minutes, then strained and cooled and froze as ice cubes - each cube "containing" 1.4 gm of hops.

They lift an under hopped beer I brewed superbly, and they do not noticeably de-gass the beer in the glass. Important to drink at the same rate the ice cube melts though for consistency !!!

We are all mad in the UK !!!!!!!!

What does it add to the beer over all? Bitterness, flavor, aroma? Interesting idea.

I store my beer NOT in fridge and sometimes want to cool it with ice cubes.

If just before the last sip of say 10 ml (one fiftieth of a glass) there is one fiftieth of an ice cube left, why will the last sip be hoppier.

It adds flavour and aroma but no bitterness.

A strong beer of 7% I add 10 ice cubes which effectively brings it to around 5%.

If just before the last sip of say 10 ml (one fiftieth of a glass) there is one fiftieth of an ice cube left, why will the last sip be hoppier.

I think he saying that it will be hoppier because the last fiftieth of your beer was there the whole time the ice cube was melting. When each 1/50 of the cube melts off, some of it makes it into your sip and some of it mixes with the rest of the beer in the glass.

interesting idea, have you tried it with other drinks? Might be good with a sweet lemonade or in cocktail creation.

You could also use a bunch of this hop ice to chill, top off and hop infuse a partial boil batch?

when UK used to have hot summers, A glass of home brew in the garden with a load of ice cubes went down a treat. Sometimes a brew comes out less hoppy than desired and this is a way of adding hoppiness.

bingham - you are right! I am now trying to work out the optimum sip rate and the time between sips to allow more of the hop ice cube to melt earlier in the "Session" so as to ensure constant additional hopping rate..........

I know in the UK, they enjoy beer a fair bit warmer than over in the states, but....

If you want a beer and have to add ice cubes to make it refreshing, why not just chill the beer??

chill the beer - 45 minutes, add ice cubes - 1 minute

Some of my beers benefit from a little extra hops at drinking stage.

I know in the UK, they enjoy beer a fair bit warmer than over in the states, but....

If you want a beer and have to add ice cubes to make it refreshing, why not just chill the beer??

He is not just chilling, he is adding bitterness, flavor and aroma.

He is not just chilling, he is adding bitterness, flavor and aroma.

I get that.. I guess I don't understand why, if you want that, you just don't brew a beer with all the flavor, bitterness and aroma, instead of having to make an addition of rattling an ice cube around in a beer.

Fatcity - sometimes a beer turns out not quite perfect for me - I experiment a lot. As far as I am concerned, it is not a problem adding ice cubes. Not sure about USA but in UK many ciders are sold with the instruction "pour over plenty of ice". I find the beers do not get too "flat".

I get that.. I guess I don't understand why, if you want that, you just don't brew a beer with all the flavor, bitterness and aroma, instead of having to make an addition of rattling an ice cube around in a beer.

Read the firking OP before commenting, then you would understand.

Back