Whats the rest and how do i do this step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Do I put in more hot water after 20 mins?

image-3950511772.jpg

next step is to back off that recipe since 1 of the ingredients is flour to introduce cloudiness. flour in a brew? really?!? :eek:

the problem is you don't show the process before or after. you say " here i am. what do i do after this, based on what i did before." you don't show what comes before or after. we have no idea.

It's telling you to do a rest at 122 for 30 mins (which means mash at 122 for 30 mins) and then raise the temp to 150 for 60 mins (mash at 150 for 60 mins). You'll have to add boiling water after 30 mins to raise the temp. You can use this calculator to figure out how many qts of boiling water to add.
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/infusion.html

Then mash-out and/or sparge like normal.

So should I use 6 quarts for the 30 minutes then add six boiling quarts and stir till I hit 150 then sit for an hour?

image-3415293954.jpg

At this point I can't answer that without knowing how many lbs of grain you are using. Also need your grain temp...

That is the strangest thing I have seen since starting brewing in July 2011. From what I see in those instructions I would have little clue as what to do.

That is the strangest thing I have seen since starting brewing in July 2011. From what I see in those instructions I would have little clue as what to do.
Parts of the recipe are obviously missing in that screen shot. The recipe notes are a bit confusing, but it's just a simple step-mash (decoction mash).

I've read about using flour before to create haze in a Wit or Hef by suspending proteins, but I wouldn't do it personally. If you use the right yeast it's not necessary. You can also omit finings such as Irish Moss or Whirlfloc to aid in adding haze.

With 9.5# of grain & using a step mash, I would start with a 1:1 ratio.

To go from 70 to 122, add 9.5qts of 132 degree water.
After 20 minutes, add 5qts boiling water. Rest at 150 for an hour.

With this, you'll end up with a 1.5qt/lb ratio. Play around with this

Back