Almost 2 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a batch on sunday. I'm seeing no activity in ther airlock. I know that doesn't mean it's not working. This is my second batch. My first batch had activity within a day. This afternoon will be 2 days...

Did you shake her up a little to aerate? What kind of yeast did you use? dry, activator, starter?

Its completely possible the yeasties just need some time to get her under way. I'd wait a bit longer before worrying.

I did aerate. I used a liquid yeast. I did not do a starter, even though i was advised to do so.:D

The temp to pitch was between 65f and 75f. I think i pitched a few degrees higher, around 77f. Would that be a problem? It's in a water bath. The temp is in the low 60's right now..

Not an expert, but the yeasts tend to get going quicker at higher temps around 70*. Do you remember what temp your first batch temp was. I'm not saying it has to be done at higher temps. Mine are usually between 70* and 75*. I'd get another opinion before doing anything drastic.

good luck

I kept my first batch around the same temp. Low sixties. Maybe i will let it get alittle warmer, like the high sixties or so.

Yeah, just until fermentation gets going. Keep it around 70, then when the ferment is underway, drop it back down to the low-to-mid 60's.

I normally ferment Ales at 66-68F and haven't had a problem yet. Letting it get up to 70 or so for a couple days as you mentioned will likely kick start things.

perfectly normal considering you didn't make a starter. wait 2 more days before freaking out.

I just got home and it still hasn't moved. I took it out of the water bath. The temp was still alittle cold. Low sixties. The temp in the room is 70f. I'll leave it out for awhile..I want to see this baby cook...

BULLS... I brewed an AG wheat a little over a week ago, used WLP380, had no time for a starter... it took 84 hours to start fermenting... okay.... 84 hours. DONT WORRY, you have a cpl days yet!

Last night it's was 48 hours and still nothin.. I put on some Led Zeppelin and all of a sudden the yeasties starting there job. The little guys like good music.

Accually, I warmed it up a little. It's running around 72-73 ambient temp...

Ok, so 2 days of nothin.then 5 days of constent bubbling. I brewed last sunday. It took until Tuesday to get going. Now it's Saturday night and still going. Should i wait for the bubbling to stop or take a Gravity reading tomorrow? Which will be 7 days...

I meant that i wanted to rack to the secondary. Should i wait or take a reading and rack?

Your right. I should've done a starter..

Wait until your bubbling has pretty much stopped before racking to secondary. 7 days is a great guideline, but some beers will have activity for almost two weeks. If you watch it for a couple of minutes and nothing happens (no bubbles) then rack it.

It's been 7 days. The bubbling in the airlock has stopped. I took a hydrometer reading and it was 1012. The directions say FG 1006-1010. Should i wait a couple more days or rack into the secondary now?

Well you are only 2 points off your FG. Personally I would rack it because you usually gain atleast a couple points while you beer conditions so that should bring it down to atleast 1010. Then again leaving it a couple extra days in the primary wont hurt - really either way would be fine - you will over time develop your preferences in the way you do things.

Back