5g Stovetop + heatstick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Hey guys. I been brewing outside on a propane burner since I started AG last spring. I have 3 batches to get done soon, but lately it's been -15 and windy, I know holding mash temps are gonna be a nightmare, if I can even keep the burner lit. I was thinking I'd find any easy way to brew indoors.

If I built a 2000w heatstick, could I get 6.5 gallons of wort boiling with 2000w?

I plan to convert to 240v 5500w element eventually. Can I install this element in my pot now, and run it at 120v?

I just got another (maybe stupid) idea. Can I run the 240v 5500w element off of two separate 120v outlets? Plug both cords in while raising up to boil temps. Once wort starts boiling pull one plug? Maybe run one side through my ranco controller?

Hey guys. I been brewing outside on a propane burner since I started AG last spring. I have 3 batches to get done soon, but lately it's been -15 and windy, I know holding mash temps are gonna be a nightmare, if I can even keep the burner lit. I was thinking I'd find any easy way to brew indoors.

If I built a 2000w heatstick, could I get 6.5 gallons of wort boiling with 2000w?

I plan to convert to 240v 5500w element eventually. Can I install this element in my pot now, and run it at 120v?

I just got another (maybe stupid) idea. Can I run the 240v 5500w element off of two separate 120v outlets? Plug both cords in while raising up to boil temps. Once wort starts boiling pull one plug? Maybe run one side through my ranco controller?

I don't think 2000w will boil that much liquid on it's own, but maybe in conjunction with your stove it could work.

You can run a 240V element on 120V and you'll get 1/4 the wattage.

You can NOT just connect two 120's to your 240V element... There's nothing to connect your neutral wires to, and nothing to control the phasing of your two hot's.

I have used a 1500W heatstick with my gas stove. It works great for 5 gal batches. Without the heatstick I could never get 6.5 gal to boil.

djt17 said:
I have used a 1500W heatstick with my gas stove. It works great for 5 gal batches. Without the heatstick I could never get 6.5 gal to boil.

So you have no problem maintaing a good boil with just the stove?

Well either way it's out of the question for me. My Blichmann pot won't fit underneath the range hood on my stove, so I guess my only option is 2 120v elements, or use propane out in the cold.

I use a heatstick with my gas cooktop to get to boiling faster, then maintain the boil with just the cooktop.

Using two 120v elements is fine, but make sure the two different outlets are on seperate circuits. Not sure if you knew that or not.

If you are patient, 2000w will work for a 5 gal batch. though not ideal, it will also help to insulate the kettle by wrapping it in a towel, and keeping the pot covered as you approach boil, you may even need to partially cover during the boil, but your boiloff quantity will still be in range.

Given your options at -15 and windy, give it a shot.

wilserbrewer said:
If you are patient, 2000w will work for a 5 gal batch. though not ideal, it will also help to insulate the kettle by wrapping it in a towel, and keeping the pot covered as you approach boil, you may even need to partially cover during the boil, but your boiloff quantity will still be in range.

Given your options at -15 and windy, give it a shot.

Thanks! I guess it's worth a try! I have some reflectix lying around I can put on the kettle. I'll see what I can do.

Went to pick up supplies today but seems all the hardware stores in the city do not stock 2000w elements. 1500w 120v elements, or 3000w 220v are the closest, so I bailed on it. I'll have to brew in my in laws garage, and bring it home before pitching the yeast.

Just an idea for how much homebrew supplies cost in this area, $54.99 for a 32oz of Star-San at the LHBS today!

Back