Goose Island Brewer Quits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cape Brewing said:
The CEO just left too...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11-16/news/chi-john-hall-to-leave-goose-island-as-ceo-20121115_1_anheuser-busch-urban-wheat-ale-goose-island

I wonder if the non-compete clauses I'm sure these guys had to sign when Inbev came in and bought Goose Island just ran out.... and now everyone is thanking AB for the cash and jumping ship.

It'll be really interesting to see what the market reaction, if any, is.

Yup... sign a little deal with the devil, then get right back to the roots of the craft.

It would be nice to see them go off and start something fresh but the last paragraph of the article suggests this would be wishful thinking. Looks more like a further decent into hell instead...

"AB also said Thursday that Goose Island’s Chief Operating Officer, Tony Bowker, is leaving his post. He and Hall will join three Anheuser-Busch employees to form an “Anheuser-Busch Craft Advisory Board” that will help guide the brand."

That sounds like an absolute token job for the CEO... who... I think is basically retiring anyway. Without going backand reading the article, I think he is an older guy.

I would bet a buck or two that head brewer got a decent pay out as well as compensation from Inbev to stay on board for a certain amount of time. He's really the one that has a chance to wash, rinse, and repeat on this whole deal.

This will be great news if I can start getting BCS around here. I have not seen it in this state since '09.

Well, the 2 beers described in the article sound awesomely delicious and interesting. I'll be keep my ears open for reviews from those of you close by new brewery when they actually have beer available.

Back