my stout isnt black?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
i took my first gravity reading since my og. and to my surprise my oatmeal stout is a dark brown color not the black i've seen in most stouts. is this normal for oatmeal stout? will it get darker if i leave it in the fermenter for a couple more weeks?

I had to boil up some synamar and add it to my secondary to turn my black rye ipa from brown/amber to black.

Stout range in dark brown to black in color for the style. What grains did you steep and how much? Barley, chco, black patent etc

i rechecked my kit, it says my srm should be a 23... isnt that very light for a stout? when i look at an srm of 23 on charts that seems way to light.

Screen shot 2012-06-05 at 8.07.27 PM.jpg

BJCP lists oatmeal stout from 22-40 SRM so it's within range. Without knowing your recipe or process we really can't offer much help.

Is it clear? If it's still in the fermenter and there's any yeast/trub or whatever still floating around in there it will look lighter than the final product.

bosco

Is it clear? If it's still in the fermenter and there's any yeast/trub or whatever still floating around in there it will look lighter than the final product.

bosco

This.

The yeast/stuff floating around in the stout will make the overall color lighter and browner. My stouts always look darker after bottle conditioning and the yeast/etc have had time to settle.
Pez.

This.

The yeast/stuff floating around in the stout will make the overall color lighter and browner. My stouts always look darker after bottle conditioning and the yeast/etc have had time to settle.
Pez.

Also, you're likely taking a gravity reading in a vessel that is significantly narrower than your eventual glass. This will also acount for a difference in color between now and conditioned and poured in a glass. I imagine that you won't be able to tell, unless you hold it up to the light.

mmontiero - post up your recipe and we can advise how to get it blacker. Other than patience for completion and yeast settling, it won't get blacker, but your next batch could...

Latest posts

Back