15.5 gallon pot or Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toga

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to sell my keggle and buy a 15.5 gallon pot. So I figured I'd toss this out there to see what others would prefer and why.

Boil pot or keggle? Which do you prefer and why.

If they are the same size, whichever was cheaper. You might be into aesthetics though...

if you have setup with keggle why change it, does it work?, if its not broken dont fix it :)

The keggle works. I have back problems however and managed to injure myself during a recent brew day lifting it when when full.

And two more words: "March Pump"

Granted, a keggle is a pretty dang heavy thing on its own. But a full keggle vs a full kettle? The bulk of the weight is still the wort and not the vessel itself. You shouldn't be lifting these things full!

If anything, take a step back, look at your process, and ask yourself why you had to lift that full keggle. See if you can make some changes there and avoid the need to move a full keggle, rather than trying to make moving that full keggle easier.

I don't like the way kegs are constructed with extended top and bottom. I will go with a real stock pot every time.

Keggle for sure because they are a lot cheaper, work just the same, and there's nothing like the satisfaction of making something yourself that does the job.... Sure buying a kettle looks nicer but last time I checked what really matters is how good the beer turns out and my Keggle has sure cranked out some tasty brews

Wyatt

I don't like the way kegs are constructed with extended top and bottom. I will go with a real stock pot every time.

I agree...I think kegs make terrible brew pots...but I would love to set up a nice keggle brewing with "CIP" , clean in place so as not having to jockey the keggles around to clean em!!

So I guess my advice would be "clean in place"

Latest posts

Back