1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I was the second comment on this thread when I was brand new to brewing. I took a break from the forums for a bit and came back to see this post STILL going! Ha that's crazy. I actually JUST did my first 1 gallon batch finally thought I would comment. Amazing this post is still alive.

My brew consisted of:
1 lbs 2 row -mash at 152 60 min
1.5 LME golden light-added before boil
1.5 oz muttons chocolate -added to 2 row during mash
.6tsp Magnum pellet hops-60 min boil
.6tsp Chinook Pellet-30 min
1oz Leaf cascade hops-15 min

BRY-97 Am west coast ale yeast .5 packet
.25tsp irish moss-flame out

OG 1.066
FG 1.010

It came out sweet, still bottle carbing. I just used whatever I had laying around and winged it.

I've never heard of adding the irish moss at flameout. Everything I've ever seen has it at 10 or 15 minutes left in the boil.
Perhaps it needs time to rehydrate fully to be effective?

I've never heard of adding the irish moss at flameout. Everything I've ever seen has it at 10 or 15 minutes left in the boil.
Perhaps it needs time to rehydrate fully to be effective?

I recently read somewhere (and I honestly don't remember where) that Irish Moss should not be added any earlier than 10 minutes prior to the end of the boil, because boiling it longer than that denatures the compounds which make it work... So flameout may be OK...

Edit: Here are a couple places where this is discussed:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/whirlfloc-37012/#post362539

http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12097

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/clarifying.28296/

Everybody seems to quote the same reference... nobody seems to know where it came from!

This may be the manufacturer:

http://companies.globalmarket.com/quest-international-ireland-ltd-497769.html

http://www.localbusinesspages.ie/125687/Quest+International+Ireland+Ltd.aspx

Edit #2: I'm thinking for 1 gallon batches, I might put some whirlfloc tablets in a coffee grinder, reduce them to a powder, then use 1/8-1/4 teaspoon (or whatever measurement seems appropriate...) per batch. I'll probably start adding it at the 5 minute mark.

So I brewed the perle.....(pale ale?) Last night. I also brewed the homebrew exchange NW IPA last night. Both came up way low on final volume so I had to boil some top off water. Both recipes followed the same schedule. 60 minute mash at 155ish with starting volume of 3 quarts mash and 2 quarts sparge. Both ended up with half a gallon at best by the end of the boil. What did I do wrong? Too vigorous of a boil?

I started the timer as soon as it came to a rolling boil. I guess it doesn't matter. That's what I've always done up until now with 5 gallon batches.

the problem is if you built the recipe to target 1 gallon with no top off water than you will dilute everything (bitterness, flavor, aroma, color, abv).
most 5 gallon stove top kits from places like NB are made to include the top off water so they turn out correctly post fermentation.

Just keep notes on what happened so the next batches you hit the correct post boil volume (including how high you ran the burner at).

My pre boil volume starts near 2 gallons but I like a good vigorous boil. Try filling your pot up and doing an hour boil to dial in your losses.

Thanks I'll try that to be able to judge better.

Also how do you guys justify taking so much of a 1 gallon batch just to take gravity readings? Or do you return your samples and risk infection? Or do you guys all use a refractometer?

Where do you go to get 1 gallon batch recipes? Are you able to partial or all grain brewing with such a small batch? There are some beers I would like to test out before I commit to a 5-10 gallon batch.

My first-ever brew was from a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit, which was all-grain and one gallon. I never really looked back after that. Any 5-gallon recipe will do, just reduce ingredient quantities by 80%.

I just buy my brains for scaled down recipes the same way a five gallon brewer would. In many cases I go to the website that sells a kit and look at the recipe/ ingredients list and just divide by five.

* grains, not brains

I just buy my brains for scaled down recipes the same way a five gallon brewer would. In many cases I go to the website that sells a kit and look at the recipe/ ingredients list and just divide by five.

* grains, not brains

Are you doing extract brewing?

My first-ever brew was from a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit, which was all-grain and one gallon. I never really looked back after that. Any 5-gallon recipe will do, just reduce ingredient quantities by 80%.

So then what do you do with the of the yeast if you don't pitch the full package/vial?

So then what do you do with the of the yeast if you don't pitch the full package/vial?

If it is a package of dry, then just squeeze the air out, fold it over, seal it with tape, and store in the freezer. I think you might as well use half the packet just to make it easy.

For liquid, you could make a starter, then use part of it. Store the rest in a sterilized mason jar in the refrigerator. You could make a starter from some of that in the future, OR just get a large spoonful out (sanitize everything) and add it to the next gallon batch. When that gallon is done, you have another jar full of yeast.

Where do you go to get 1 gallon batch recipes? Are you able to partial or all grain brewing with such a small batch? There are some beers I would like to test out before I commit to a 5-10 gallon batch.

I've been looking everywhere for 1 gallon kits to "cut my teeth" on and found it really hard to justify buying a kit for $14-$15 bucks and turn around and pay $7-10 to ship. I have found a couple of recipes online and ordered the ingredients for them though more beer and found out I can get enough for 2 gallons for about the same price... (On simple dme kits). Check out perrys brewer they specialize in 1 gallon all grain with everything (grains, grain bag, hops, dry yeast sanitizer, priming sugar and even caps) for 14.99 and offer free shipping on their kits. I think they have about 6 different ones. No minimum.... I just ordered a summer sassion spice that will be here tomorrow http://perrysbrewer.com

Also if you have Amazon prime you can get a few of the different Brooklyn brew shops kits for $15ish

Bottled my first one gallon batch not quite the yield I expected (8 beers) the beer smelled and tasted pretty damn good, my concerns are as follows:
I used (at the suggestion of my LHBS) DME and water for priming and it seemed to reduce quite a bit and letting it cool almost made it too thick.
I need to do something different next time for bottling bucket, I siphoned out of fermenter into a pot that had the priming solution it then siphoned over dishwasher into the bottles it just seemed awkward.
Sanitized bottles in a large 5 gallon bucket, gonna invest in a fast rack.

I've been looking everywhere for 1 gallon kits to "cut my teeth" on and found it really hard to justify buying a kit for $14-$15 bucks and turn around and pay $7-10 to ship. (snip...)

Also if you have Amazon prime you can get a few of the different Brooklyn brew shops kits for $15ish

Brooklyn Brew Shop kits are $15 and ship free if you buy 3.

Siphon to another gallon carboy with your priming sugar, then auto siphon with a bottling wand and you're good to go

I have bought a few one gallon kits from the more popular sites. I favor northenbrewer.com cause the pretty reasonable with shipping.

Bottled my first one gallon batch not quite the yield I expected (8 beers) the beer smelled and tasted pretty damn good, my concerns are as follows:
I used (at the suggestion of my LHBS) DME and water for priming and it seemed to reduce quite a bit and letting it cool almost made it too thick.
I need to do something different next time for bottling bucket, I siphoned out of fermenter into a pot that had the priming solution it then siphoned over dishwasher into the bottles it just seemed awkward.

For bottling I got a food grade 2 gallon bucket and drilled a hole in it and put a bottling spigot on it. I rack to the bucket and then to bottles. You can add priming sugar to the bucket or use the handy dandy sugar cubes (fizz drops) some suppliers sell.

I like the big beer bottle! I have this one, but I never thought to use it as a fermenter. It's only 80 oz capacity (2 quarts + 1 pint). I always wondered where I could find a crown for it!

BigBud.JPG

I found this big bottle at the local Ross store for like $9 bucks! Just seems right to ferment beer in a big beer bottle! I like that big bottle of yours as well but I might have to remove that label LoL. And Google it. You just might find caps that size. You never know.

Like someone said, a bottling bucket is a cheap investment that will make it easier. No siphon, just open the spigot. More stable, too.

8 bottles is decent. The absolute most you could get is 10.25, but you have trub to account for. The more compact it is, and the less you have, the more beer you get. Strain it going into the fermenter. Cold crash to make it compact a little more. I'm happy with 8. If I get 9 I'm really happy.

Like someone said, a bottling bucket is a cheap investment that will make it easier. No siphon, just open the spigot. More stable, too.

8 bottles is decent. The absolute most you could get is 10.25, but you have trub to account for. The more compact it is, and the less you have, the more beer you get. Strain it going into the fermenter. Cold crash to make it compact a little more. I'm happy with 8. If I get 9 I'm really happy.

I am definitely getting a bottling bucket w/spigot, makes sense regarding the yield cause there was quite a bit of sediment at the bottom, hoping to do another batch this weekend.
What is optimal temp for the bottles to carbonate in, I have them ion my garage which is unheated and it is still chilly here in CT in the mornings?

Been reading through the thread and did my first 1 gallon batch today. I'm definitely going to keep doing this. Less time and way less effort. I'll still make a couple 5 gallon batches over the summer but will stick to 1 gallon for some diversity and indoor brewing.

I found this big bottle at the local Ross store for like $9 bucks! Just seems right to ferment beer in a big beer bottle! I like that big bottle of yours as well but I might have to remove that label LoL. And Google it. You just might find caps that size. You never know.

I know what you mean about the label! :rolleyes: But, it appears to be silkscreened and fired on! I love the bottle, if not the product it advertises.

I do also have about a half-dozen 1.5L Grolsch swing-top bottles that I do plan on bottling in some time! Mine are in storage right now, but I found this pic on the interwebs:

1.5LGrolsch.jpg

Edit: I measured the top of the Bud bottle. It would need a 50mm crown cap. A standard beer bottle takes a 26mm crown cap, a champagne or Belgian beer bottle takes a 29mm crown cap. Nothing on Google... yet...

:D

Worst case scenario use some food grade silicon caulk around the rim on the inside of the caps to help seal it. Give it a try! And for the label try acetone and maybe some 1000 or 1500 grit sand paper. And I'm a huge collector of random cool shaped bottles

Long time one gallon brewer, wanted to start brewing sours. Had a barrel question. Do you guys think that a barrel like this could be used for long term aging?

http://www.barrelsonline.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=18

Let me know what you think.

@tbred
Short answer, no. I have a one gallon keg and your beer will be thoroughly oaked in 3-4 weeks. Long term storage is not an option because most will evaporate and what's left will be over oaked. If you want long term oaked experience, use glass and cubes or keg and cubes. Use the barrel for either short term secondary to oak a beer and you can season the barrel with wine or whiskey, or as an inoculation vessel for bacteria and wild yeast where you maintain a culture in the barrel.

TBH, I'd recommend not buying one.

I am definitely getting a bottling bucket w/spigot, makes sense regarding the yield cause there was quite a bit of true at the bottom, hoping to do another batch this weekend.
What is optimal temp for the bottles to carbonate in, I have them ion my garage which is unheated and it is still chilly here in CT in the mornings?

The ideal temperature is 70 degrees for 2-3 weeks. The colder it is, the longer it will take to get fully carbonated. At 70 degrees, you might be carbed at 1 week, but it needs a couple weeks usually. It also usually tastes better after 3-4 weeks anyway. You should probably keep them in the house while they carbonate.

Also, refrigerating for 3 days seems to help the flavor. A week if you can stand it. Don't just ice it down for an hour and drink it. It needs just a little more time.

I've been looking everywhere for 1 gallon kits to "cut my teeth" on and found it really hard to justify buying a kit for $14-$15 bucks and turn around and pay $7-10 to ship. I have found a couple of recipes online and ordered the ingredients for them though more beer and found out I can get enough for 2 gallons for about the same price... (On simple dme kits). Check out perrys brewer they specialize in 1 gallon all grain with everything (grains, grain bag, hops, dry yeast sanitizer, priming sugar and even caps) for 14.99 and offer free shipping on their kits. I think they have about 6 different ones. No minimum.... I just ordered a summer sassion spice that will be here tomorrow http://perrysbrewer.com

I would love to see a recipe you used.

Back