So I made a light beer - darn!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmebruce

Reaction score
Got a nice Pilsner from the LHBS. Paid attention getting it started. Did 14 days in a primary. Transferred to secondary. Temps got a little warmer, so I put the better bottle in a large bucket, put ice-filled bottles around it and a beach towel over the bucket to keep it cold. Changed the ice out every few days.

Brought it in. Transferred to a bottling bucket. It was less than 5 gallons, so I figured I'd boil some water and top it off. Didn't quite notice that the bottling bucket wasn't quite sitting flat and true in the sink.

Ended up with 54 bottles of watered down beer, with an extra mug full for tasting.

Lesson learned? I'll put 5 gallon measuring lines on my primary bucket and secondary bucket, and make darn sure the buckets are on a flat surface before topping off!

Anyone want a pre-prohibition style American Pilsner, properly brewed and lagered - then watered down? (oh well, I learned something. And I've had watered down beer before, lol).

Reading other posts, I realize what I did. Transferring from primary to secondary, I left trub behind. Transferring from secondary to bottling bucket, I left some behind. Then I topped off to 5 gallons to bring it back up. I should have realized that leaving trub behind would bring the volume down - and I should have only bottled what was left - rather than bringing it back up again.

Darn newbie mistake! Just because you start with 5 gallons does not mean you should end up with 5 gallons!

I shouldn't have. Now I know. Shoulda known before doing it, or at least been able to figure out. Didn't for my first couple of Ales - just thought I hadn't measured properly going into primary. Didn't stop to think that I should expect to lose a decent amount and it doesn't matter how much is in the bottling bucket. It only matter how much went into primary.

yup. you made a light beer. does it taste good? that is what matters. a buzz is a secondary result of great taste.

What was your final gravity, and how much water did you top off it? You really can't tell unless you run the numbers. Most beer tastes "thin and watery" until it is fully carbed and conditioned. It will ore than likely be fine.

It tastes MUCH better after conditioning for a week. It needs another week to carb up better - but it is coming along. I thought I had made hop-flavored water, but it's okay. (Still - next time around I will NOT add water to top it off!)

Wish it would stay cold a bit longer, I'd like to try another Pilsner. Oh well - I'll either save up for an ice chest or just wait for next winter.

I had a similar problem with the cooper's fermenter. I couldn't even tip it to get the beer below the tap threads to come out through the bottling wand. Not having any kind of siphon,I slowly poured it into that last PET bottle. Gunna be at least a 1/2" of trub in that last one! Maybe use it to make a mop for some pit bbq'd beef?...but,I'm giving them 3 weeks to mature,4th week in fridge. Should be great. Tomorrow I'll start my Pale Ale. Too tired this morning (read hungover). Darn extra pale...:drunk:

Hah! My wife gave me a Pale Ale for Christmas I was planning on doing - but the weather got so nice I freed up all the windows (they had been painted shut), put up screens and started on the lower gutters. I'd like to get the Ale going - but can open all windows in the house (except 2 in the kitchen - I'll hit those during the week). We have fresh air!

Gotta do the sunroom next. I have my office there, and share space with three beagles. N-e-e-d w-i-n-d-o-w-s o-p-e-n ......... g-a-s-p ....... c-a-n-'-t b-r-e-a-t-h-e ....... g-a-s-p

Don't share office space with three beagles if you enjoy breathing, lol.

Back to beer. The Pilsner will be fine in another week or two. Want to get started on Pale Ale. Get yourself a Siphon! They're inexpensive, and make it a LOT easier! I picked up a bottling wand last time out, and like how easy that made bottling as well. PET bottles are on my wish list. I like to go camping, and don't think glass bottles are good to bring (if even allowed). PET bottles would be a better choice.

If you mix your last one with a little vinegar, a lot of pepper and paprika - you could make a marinade for your BBQ. Or a mop would be good.

Back