filtering and pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
Do most commercial brewers filter and pasteurize their beers? That seems like a big difference compared to homebrewers. What are the reasons for filtering and pasteurizing, and are we at a disadvantage if we don't do either? What micron filter is used? Small enough to take all yeast out of suspension? Is pasteurizing just done to increase shelf life, or is it required by the FDA or some food safety body?

They filter and pasteurize their beer because their consumers think they have to. That their consumers are so addled that they won't drink a clear hefe or a cloudy pilsner. I also suspect they pasteurize their bottled beer (kegged beer is not pasteurized) to prevent bottle bombs. Especially the big boys with their thin bottles with screw tops.

Interesting question... I don't believe craft beers (the majority) are pasteurized, but a lot of them are filtered.

Are there any people working in breweries that bottle? Can you add some insight? My experience is no on pasteurization, yes on filtering unless the beer is bottle-conditioned.

I worked for Pyramid ales for 5 years and filtered about 500,000 barrels of beer. 1 micron through a horizontal DE filter backed by Schenk 60X60 pads and paper liners was typical but many times i"d run a small piece of **** vertical DE filter. Most breweries nowadays run centrifuges pre filter so they can get every last drop out as the yeast will clog filters right now. Not a huge difference in flavor until you get down to .5 micron and then it does tend to strip body and some color. Nothing like highly carbonated crystal clear golden ale though straight out of the brite tank at 6 AM.

Most micros do not pasteurize. I worked at Strohs for a few years and everything got pasteurized.We did a lot more than just strohs so don't poopoo. Henry Weinhards through Rainier beer and even Mickeys. I think the only major brewery in the US that doesnt pasteurize is Coors.Its not a federal thing but some states still require pasteurized beer and it certainly improves warm storage shelf life.

Latest posts

Back