Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan3825

Reaction score
I am going to try my first recipe and was hoping for a little feedback. I am starting out pretty plain and will probably modify further from there. After looking around the interwebs for a while carapils seems to be a pretty common specialty grain for almost any extract recipe.

8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 10L
6 lb Gold LME
1 oz centennial 8.6% 60m
1oz cascade 5.0% 20m
1oz cascade 5.0% 2m

Safale us-05

1. I know I will have beer but is this a decent starting point?
2. What could I do if I wanted to modify it into a dark ale that isn't a porter or stout?

1) many malt extracts already contain carapils as part of the make-up, so IMO you could do without it, but it won't hurt.
2) add a little chocolate malt and you got a brown ale

I thought Carapils is supposed to be mashed? Or at least from what Ive read is you can steep it but it will make your beer cloudy.

is this going to be a full boil? if so you should be ok on the hops but like AZ said, maybe closer to the end on the cascades. If it's a partial boil you are gonna want more hops.

I am going to try my first recipe and was hoping for a little feedback. I am starting out pretty plain and will probably modify further from there. After looking around the interwebs for a while carapils seems to be a pretty common specialty grain for almost any extract recipe.

8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 10L
6 lb Gold LME
1 oz centennial 8.6% 60m
1oz cascade 5.0% 20m
1oz cascade 5.0% 2m

Safale us-05

1. I know I will have beer but is this a decent starting point?
2. What could I do if I wanted to modify it into a dark ale that isn't a porter or stout?
logan382, You could add your LME to the start of the boil, that should add some caramelization and color, and then swap out the Carapils for and equal amount of Roasted Barley...:ban:

Thank you for all the responses.

I am guessing that the reason for the later 2nd hop addition is bring out the flavor more?

Originally I thought the centennial was around 9% and the cascades around 7%.

I typically top off with 1 1/2-2 gallons of water. I boil with 4 gallons plus the extract. I was thinking about a late extract addition.

I just brewed a beer almost identical to that, but my hop schedule was a bit different. I did:

.75oz brewers gold 9.4%aa @60 min
1oz Cascade 5.4%aa @ 12 mins
1oz Cascade 5.4%aa DH

And i used pale DME, so my OG was a touch higher.

I just did a pale on Saturday from a recipe by my LHBS. I went with 1 oz of cascade at 15 mins, and another at flame out.

7 lbs light lme
1 lb Crystal 10L
1 oz Amarillo 11.2% 60 mins
1 oz Amarillo 11.2% 30 mins
1 oz Cascade 6.9% 15 mins
1 oz Cascade 6.9% 0 mins
1 tsp Gypsum 60 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins
Wyeast 1098

OG 1.054
IBU 54.7 (a bit high for the style, but suits me)

I have brewed this 3 times now. The first time was as is. The second time was with 10g orange zest and 5g lemon zest. The third time was with 15g lemon zest. The one with lemon zest was the best by far. Without zest I think it is a little flavorless. Decent bitterness but lacking flavor.

8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 10L
6 lb Gold LME
1 oz centennial 8.6% 60m
1oz cascade 5.0% 20m
1oz cascade 5.0% 2m

Latest posts

Back