Stainless vs. Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I currently have a stainless 5 gallon pot that I've been using for extract brewing. I am going to give the deathbrewer all grain technique a try, which necessitates two pots. My friend I brew with frequently has a 5 gallon stainless as well, but I know it's better to use at least a 6 gallon pot as your second pot with this technique. I found an aluminum at walmart for $40, which is much cheaper than buying a $200 false bottom pot or something. I know there are reasons it's better to use stainless over aluminum, but I'm anxious to give this all grain a shot and this seems like a great, cheap way to do so.

I currently have a stainless 5 gallon pot that I've been using for extract brewing. I am going to give the deathbrewer all grain technique a try, which necessitates two pots. My friend I brew with frequently has a 5 gallon stainless as well, but I know it's better to use at least a 6 gallon pot as your second pot with this technique. I found an aluminum at walmart for $40, which is much cheaper than buying a $200 false bottom pot or something. I know there are reasons it's better to use stainless over aluminum, but I'm anxious to give this all grain a shot and this seems like a great, cheap way to do so.

craigslist is a great source.. I bought a ss turkey fryer set up with an 8 gallon pot...in the box for 50 bucks.

Moody,

Just use your buddies pot. You don't need the 6 gallon with this method, unless your making a really big beer. The reality is you will only use this method a couple times before you decide to build a mash tun. After this you will want at least an 8 gallon pot, or bigger.

My vote is hold off and save your money for a bigger expansion. FWIW, ebay is the place to look, I sourced an awesome 15 gallon SS pot for $110 w/ shipping

Sorry, I am a little off topic here, I get carried away often.

Happy Brewing :mug:

Back