Cleaner vs. Sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
My Midwest kit came with "Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser" based on the name I'd assume it's a cleaner, but why would they send a cleaner and no sanitizer? Any one know the deal?

No rinse cleanser? That's a new one to me, I always thought cleansers needed water to rinse away dissolved dirt/solids from the material being cleaned. The beginners equipment kits I've seen usually include some cleaning powder and expect you to either buy some sanitizer as an extra or use bleach. Bleach worked for me just fine for almost a year, just use cold water when you soak and rinse thoroughly with very warm water until the bleach smell goes away and then keep rinsing a bit more. Worked for me every time.

No, in the bleach vs. everything else war I stand firmly on the side of whatever fits my need of the moment be they economic or temporal. If it kills infectious bugs and can be used safely in brewing it's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

many 'sanitizers' used in brewing are regulated as cleansers by the gov't. I believe that to get certified as a sanitizer there is a lot of additional (read expensive) lab work that needs to be done and many companies don't bother. OneStep is one of the things we brewers use as a sanitizer that is actually classified as a cleanser by the regulators.

Thanks so far, but no one has heard of this? I think I'll email them and see what they say. I'll post their answer here.

The bottle you got with your Midwest kit is just a small container of One-Step. Its just labeled differently. Least thats what the guy at Midwest told me.

Cheers All! :mug:

And the reply from Midwest "The Easy Clean can be used for both. I have used this product for 10 years and have never lost a batch of beer or wine. Just let everything contact the water/easy clean solution for a few minutes and you are good to go."
So it looks like this is all I need.

Back