Why liquid malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spb

Reaction score
When reading several articles about partial mashing combined with the extract-late method, such as in this article: http://***********/feature/1536.html, it is specifically stated to add liquid malt extract near the end of the boil. Why liquid? Is there any reason to use liquid over dry malt extract? I have used both and have made great beers but I am very curious why it is recommended to use liquid?

Just a guess here, but...I'll bet it's pretty hard to get the DME into the boil successfully. That stuff goes everywhere when you open the package, I bet a significant portion would be blown out of the kettle by the steam of the boil.

Liquid, on the other hand, will pour right into the kettle, boiling or not, and as long as you stir it well, you shouldn't have any problems.

liquid is cheaper too :) I agree DME can be a pain, last time I used it to make a starter I ruined the rest of the bag since it got too near the steam and turned into a solid clump.

I use mostly DME and it has never given me any trouble. I add it directly to the boil and have not had issues with clumping. There is always a little bit that sticks to the mouth of the bag but never more than a tablespoon. I like that I don't have to worry about pre-heating the jar of LME or rinsing it out to get that last little bit. I have less trouble with scorching since I switched as well. I find that the DME floats on top until it is dissolved whereas the LME likes to sink to the bottom and you risk scorching if it does not mix well.

In some of the recipes from the BYO article it also has you add DME at the onset of the boil and the LME at the end. Why the need for the two types of malt extract?

I think the reason that you are told to put the LME in at the end is because LME is (in general) darker than DME. Xtra-lite DME will be MUCH ligher colored than Xtra-lite LME.

Add to that the fact that the longer you boil the wort, the darker it gets, and I think the author is just trying to help you keep the color of the finished wort as light as possible by instructing you to put the LME in at the end.

(Also, I don't have any issues at all getting DME into the boil.)

If you don't care about the color being dark, you can put all of the malt (be it DME or LME) into the boil right away.

If you want the color to be as light as possible, but ALL of the malt (LME and/or DME) in at the end of the boil. Keep in mind that boiling hops in plain water will get TREMENDOUS utilization, so you will get more bitterness out of the hops if boiled in plain water.

You only need to boil the extract long enough to (a) sanitize and (b) get a hot break. 15 minutes or so should be plenty.

-walker

Back