how long in secondary for low gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmaupin

Reaction score
I just racked my American Light to the better bottle last night the og on this was only 1.037-1.041 (og was 1.036) how long should I let this sit to clean all the extra gunk out to have a nice clean beer?

How long was it in primary? It generally takes a total of about 4 weeks (primary + secondary) to really clear most beers, however, depending on the beer it could take less or more.

You might be fine with a week in secondary. After a week, you could set it outside overnight for a little crash cooling before bottling.

The glib answer is, "Until it clears."

:D

The more detailed answer is a question: "What do you wish to accomplish?" There's more than one thing involved in "nice, clear beer". Could be simple clarity, could be clear flavor/aroma, etc.

If you're only worried about visual clarity, you can fine the beer with gelatin or some other agent and have it star-bright in a matter of hours. In the majority of cases, a couple of weeks of storage in the vessel will make for clear beer. (Note that, depending on the yeast strain, simple patience may never make for clear beer. But those occasions are rare with simple ales.)

Even if you do use fining, a couple of weeks in secondary will help meld flavors.

Good luck!

Bob

Nice flavor not so cloudy a first non mr.beer to show off a say I made this something to be proud of (not that I wont be as long as its drinkable) but you know what i mean

Back