High Attenuation with US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
I've been experiencing consistently high attenuation using US-05 in various pale ales and IPAs. For example recent recipe used approx 50/50 2-row/vienna, with 4% rye malt and 8% crystal. OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.008. I'm quite confident in my gravity readings (taken with refractometer only for FG, refract and hydrometer both for OG).

I mashed a bit lower than planned for this batch, 150, in a cooler, measured with a cole-parmer thermocouple.

I'm experiencing 80% + attenuation on previous batches as well.

Not that this is a bad thing, just curious about why.

US-05 is one of the best attenuating yeast you can get. I have always gotten great attenuation with it. Attenuates better than its counter parts WLP001 and Wyeast 1056.

Yah, the -05 will go 80+% easy with a low mash temp. It is a rockstar yeast that you have to intentionally put the brakes on! :D

My most recent pale ale (OG 1.054, FG 1.008) was fermented at 66 F and I still got 85% apparent attenuation.

I love the way this yeast works and tastes.

Same here my latest IPA had 81% apparent and I had mashed at 152F. If I were trying to keep it from attenuating so much, I would mash at 156 and/or boil it longer.

Same here my latest IPA had 81% apparent and I had mashed at 152F. If I were trying to keep it from attenuating so much, I would mash at 156 and/or boil it longer.

Yah, mash it higher (ie 156F)

US-05 is one of the best attenuating yeast you can get. I have always gotten great attenuation with it. Attenuates better than its counter parts WLP001 and Wyeast 1056.

I split a batch of wort between 05 and 1056. The FG was exactly the same in each one, although the 05 batch did have less mouthfeel than the 1056.

I split a batch of wort between 05 and 1056. The FG was exactly the same in each one, although the 05 batch did have less mouthfeel than the 1056.

Did you ensure that the pitching rates were the same? That can make a big difference and can come into play especially when using dry vs. liquid yeast.

I have definitely noticed higher attenuation with US-05 vs. 1056. I'm not certain the pitching rate is the reason, I've always pitched a big starter with a fresh smack pack. I've always wondered what the differences in the strains really are. Some claim that 05 is more estery, but it's always been super clean for me.

All I'm sure of is that I've NEVER got over 80% with 1056, and it happens regularly for me with US-05.

I agree, 1056 drops out at any temp for me after about two weeks, where as US-05 is still clouding up my fermenter after three. That has to be a big factor in the attenuation. That didn't occur to me until you brought it up. Smart beer peoples on this board.

Thanks to all for the responses. Its good to know that my experience is normal.

I wouldn't say that my beers seem too dry, but I did mash this weekend's batch a bit warmer, at 155, so it will be interesting to see how the FG ends up.

Another possibly interesting aspect of the past weekend's brewing - I pitched 5 gallon onto an US05 cake, and just pitched a packet of US05 to the other 5 gallons. I'll be looking forward to seeing if the FG's and/or the taste are different.

My beers have been doing awesome lately, Been dropping to 1.010 every single beer. Highest start was 1.060. Hope this helps.

Just started a cream ale with US-05 Saturday, Re-hydrated the yeast with just 10x its weight in distilled water. After pitching the yeast I had activity within 3 hours, Sunday evening it looked like a hurricane was in the fermenter, this stuff is potent!

With all of the Notty problems, I doubt I will go back to it, and continue to use -05 for a clean yeast. It really is good stuff

I think the US-05 is slightly less flocculant than the liquid yeast, having used both, and less flocculent yeast often will attenuate more since they are in contact with the beer longer.

I'd have to disagree on the less flocculent. I recently made a brown ales (OG about 1.060ish) with 05. In exactly one week I'd hit FG and the beer had dropped crystal clear and was ready for kegging.

What's the trick Denny? I love the yeast, but it will not clear for me, and I hear that from posters on this site and brewers I know personally as well.

Thanks to all for the responses. Its good to know that my experience is normal.

I wouldn't say that my beers seem too dry, but I did mash this weekend's batch a bit warmer, at 155, so it will be interesting to see how the FG ends up.

Another possibly interesting aspect of the past weekend's brewing - I pitched 5 gallon onto an US05 cake, and just pitched a packet of US05 to the other 5 gallons. I'll be looking forward to seeing if the FG's and/or the taste are different.

I'll be eager to hear how this turns out.

Chad

I have no idea....and I admit I was surprised a bit, myself! But even though that was exceptionally quick, I don't recall ever having much problem getting it to drop out. Maybe it's because I live clean.....:D

O.G. = 1.046
F.G. = 1.004

Mash = 122 (30 min) -- 146 (60 min) -- 168 (10 min)

I was wondering if this was even possible before reading this thread -- but it is still a higher attenuation rate than I've even seen here. I did dilute this batch with some water, and am wondering if the calculations I made using ProMash are off.

I pitched a starter made from a slurry from a previous batch, so I am sure the pitch was pretty healthy (but in the 90s? It can't be).

smizak said:
What's the trick Denny? I love the yeast, but it will not clear for me, and I hear that from posters on this site and brewers I know personally as well.

Are you doing the following:
1 Irish Moss
2 a longer primary or secondary
3 cold crash
I keg so I make sure I condition in the keg (instead of a secondary) under a little co2, followed by a cold crash pretty close to 32 degrees, after which I draw off the first couple of yeasty and cloudy pints. Rest is nice and clear.

I regularly get ~85% attenuation with S-05 in my IPAs, which I mash around 150*F. When I go to 155*F or so it drops down to mid-70%, which is usually perfect for stouts and such.

I thought it was just me. I brewed an amber nearly 4 weeks ago with a SG of 058 and after 3 weeks in primary upon kegging it was 006. Seriously. ...Yes, I know how to read a high draw mehter...

Anyway, I ended up with an ABV way high so I'm gunna let it mellow in the keg a few weeks and see if it still tastes a tad alco-harsh.

The first AG batch I did i underestimated my brew house efficiency and ended up with a "way high" ABV. Now, I adjusted the grain bill accordingly and the US-05 has worked overtime, even tho I mashed at 152 F to start (to 151 F after 30 min and 150 F at 60 min) and fermented at 63 F...

Phenry: Good point. Maybe I'll raise my mash a degree or two and have a nice, slightly sweet beer that's not so highly attenuated & a more "normal" ABV.

Cheers! :drunk::drunk::tank::drunk:

Back