Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmac22

Reaction score
I have never brewed soda but really want something close to Dad's Root Beer. Anyone have a recipe that is similar? Done a fair bit of research and can't find anything that anyone says is similar. Any help is appreciated!

Also...for those the keg beer and soda, have you had any issues going from beer to soda and back to beer in the same keg (assuming good cleaning techniques)?

I looked into making root beer with real roots and flavorings a long time ago and decided it wasn't worth the hassle, so I usually use an extract. There are tons of them out there (McCormick, Zatarains, Watkins) but my favorite so far is Gnome (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/soda/gnome-draft-style-root-beer). IMO it has more of an old fashioned taste, especially when you use real sugar. I used turbinado sugar the last time I made it and I really liked the way it turned out.

As for the keg, I'd recommend a dedicated one for root beer. Also, I'd use dedicated lines. The strong flavors in root beer work their way into rubber and soft plastic very quickly, so if you don't change out your seals and lines you're very likely to get those flavors in your beer.

I looked into making root beer with real roots and flavorings a long time ago and decided it wasn't worth the hassle, so I usually use an extract. There are tons of them out there (McCormick, Zatarains, Watkins) but my favorite so far is Gnome (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/soda/gnome-draft-style-root-beer). IMO it has more of an old fashioned taste, especially when you use real sugar. I used turbinado sugar the last time I made it and I really liked the way it turned out.

As for the keg, I'd recommend a dedicated one for root beer. Also, I'd use dedicated lines. The strong flavors in root beer work their way into rubber and soft plastic very quickly, so if you don't change out your seals and lines you're very likely to get those flavors in your beer.

Ill have to take a look at some of those extracts...i brew all grain but i really want something easy for root beer. Guess i better order a new keg and tap :rockin: Thanks for the response!

Back