Ordinary Bitter Boddington's Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First wort hopping is said to give bittering equal to a 20 min addition. Despite being boiled for 60 minutes, the alpha acids are locked in at a certain level. Supposed to give a nice complexity.

Heading to pickup ingredients to brew this one now. I've got S-04 & Notty in the fridge...will likely use dry for ease. Which has been preferred for this recipe?

Brewed this recipe 2/29 and had a solid brew day, fermented with S-04 for 10 days at about 65*(wort temp) and finished it off at 68* before cold crashing for 4 days.

Anyway, I kegged it this afternoon and had a sample. This is one tastes great right out of the primary, can't wait to give it a week on gas!

Thanks Orfy!!:mug:

Brewed this recipe 2/29 and had a solid brew day, fermented with S-04 for 10 days at about 65*(wort temp) and finished it off at 68* before cold crashing for 4 days.

Anyway, I kegged it this afternoon and had a sample. This is one tastes great right out of the primary, can't wait to give it a week on gas!

Thanks Orfy!!:mug:

Had a full pint of this tonight, and I really enjoyed it. It immediately reminds me of the Boddingtons I know, but a little bit bolder. My SWMBO commented on the color of this beer - a very nice amber, almost red. I plan on brewing this again with some other yeasts and see what I like best.

EDITED: Attached a photo of my take on this one, not quite as cloudy as it appears in the photo. Mighty fine brew!

2012-04-01_15-33-09_124.jpg

Just wanted to chime in again on this brew. I think this is the perfect beer to go all grain. Its simple yet has a great malty taste. I've brewed this almost exclusively for almost the last few years. You can make it as simple as adding Northern at 60 min and throwing in Goldings at 15 min to doing a wort hop and a 60 min finishing steep. All of it is great! This is my go to brew. It has really helped me to be able to taste differences in brewing techniques.

Hey folks, just joined the board.

Recently made my 2nd batch of this. I was tossing a few back as I made the first batch and forgot to add wirfloc tab - came out pretty cloudy, but tasty.

I wanted a bit more malty flavor, so I bumped up the Caramel 60L a bit for this second batch.

I used White Labs WLP002 both times (washed the 1st batch for re-use) - man is that some fast yeast. Brewed on Sunday and it's nearly done bubbling and clearing tonight (Tuesday!) Huge chunks of volcanic yeast.

Anyway - great forum, great info.

Gordo

Trying it out as a lighter beer.

1hr mash at 152
BIAB and got 1.045 for 5+ gallon wort.

Hops schedule: 90 min 1oz Northern, 15 min 1 oz EKG, flameout 1 oz Fuggles. (a little strong I think for a light beer)

Yeast: Nottingham. I wanted something clean and had good luck with this yeast before(and my brew store guy suggested it), but now that I've tasted the wort I think I should have gone with the intended London ale III. I think the fruitiness would be a welcome counterbalance.

Holy Crap the yeast took off! I rigged up a blow off hose but forgot to change the airlock to one I've snipped. POP! All over the closet. It's like a hurricane in there.

Hey Orfy, just wanted to thank you for the great recipe. I'm new to homebrewing and the forum, and this was my second all-grain brew. Just racked to the secondary and looking forward to the next few weeks.

I hit your estimated OG but my gravity prior to secondary was 1.002! Your ~3.5% beer has turned into what looks like close to a 5% for me. Still taste good ;)

Cheers!

Is this the cream ale recipe? Also on the hops schedule, I understand the last two, but the first hops at the start of the boil or before it begins to boil?

Brewed it up last night. I upped the Marris to a full 8lbs (3.63kg) to account for my biab setup and substituted Fuggles for FWH, because I had some to use up. I'm a little heavy on the hops, probably over by 5 grams but I strain through a mesh so there are no hops in the the trub. This was my first brew since the temps have dropped, and it was a challenge to keep the kettle boiling and to keep temps steady during the mash. I'm sure I drifted a little too much for comfort. This is my 2nd time trying a Boddington's recipe, and this one is lighter and more bitter (I'm sure it will settle down considerably) than the first. I used SO4 yeast under the recommendation of my homebrew provider.

Beersmith is suggesting I carbonate with 4oz table sugar to get to 2.3 carb units, which seems like a lot for this style (ordinary bitter). I might go a little lower, around 3 or so for 6 gallons.

This is a nice recipe. If I brew this one again, I'll actually decrease the late EKG to suit my preference for this style. Nice malt profile though. Thanks for posting this one. Definitely reliable.

Is this the cream ale recipe? Also on the hops schedule, I understand the last two, but the first hops at the start of the boil or before it begins to boil?

Yes, Add the hops right into the container yo are catching your wort in. Add them prior to draining the mashtun. It gives a really nice solid but subtle bitter and I think it helps make the head creamier too.

So is this recipe for a 5 gallon batch or 6.5 like the OP stated? I'm set-up for 5 gallon batches and want to try the recipe as intended but after reading all 14 pages of the thread i'm getting mixed amounts. Either way going from 8 gallons to 5 or 6.5 gallons seems a bit high of an evaporation rate for a 60min boil. Anyone?

So is this recipe for a 5 gallon batch or 6.5 like the OP stated? I'm set-up for 5 gallon batches and want to try the recipe as intended but after reading all 14 pages of the thread i'm getting mixed amounts. Either way going from 8 gallons to 5 or 6.5 gallons seems a bit high of an evaporation rate for a 60min boil. Anyone?

I have Orfy's recipe in Beersmith, did a quick "Scale Recipe" and have the following. I have the brewing equipment in BS as Orfy's Brewery. I adjusted efficiency to 70% also.

Boil Size: 6.96 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.08 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 14.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.8 %
8.3 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.8 %
3.4 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.7 %
0.8 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.7 %
21 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - First Wort 60 Hop 5 25.9 IBUs
21 g Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 Hop 6 10.2 IBUs
21 g Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] - Aroma Ste Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.8 pkg Youngs Generic Ale Yeast [0.03 qt] Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs 10.6 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Single Add 9.58 qt of water at 167.0 F 154.4 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 3.77gal, 2.51gal) of 170.6 F water
Notes:
------
Into Keg on 28th Jan.
Sampled on 8th Feb. Woo Hoo, it's good.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

I've tried everything and made my share of starters. I even have a stir plate. I allways go back to dry. Easy to use. Dump in...no mess no fuss....done.

I've tried everything and made my share of starters. I even have a stir plate. I allways go back to dry. Easy to use. Dump in...no mess no fuss....done.

I would use liquid yeast only when I have to, like for a Wit or Wheat beer where the yeast taste is critical. My most recent brew was a Duvel and I got the yeast from a bottle of Duvel.

I just hate it when it doesn't take off for a couple days and then you start to get worried. At least when I make a starter I can see the results before I dump. I don't mind dry but the last few I did when my basement was 60ish took a long time to start going.

Anyone know of an extract recipe that is similar and good? This weather is preventing me from all grain in the garage and would like to do up a batch for my new nitro setup.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

theck
Anyone know of an extract recipe that is similar and good? This weather is preventing me from all grain in the garage and would like to do up a batch for my new nitro setup.
I really like this recipe.

I read through the first few pages - ?

If you're brewing the extract version of this, how do you handle the FWH? Throw them in at the steep? Or do they just become a 60 m boil?

I got to page 4 and found this. I didn't see anyone convert it, and Google was no help.

StickyWicket Did you run this through Brewmate or one of the recipe programs?

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2012/05/lets-brew-wednesday-1987-boddingtons.html

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETEEN PARTIAL MASH AND EXTRACT? Is it still extract if you steep a little grain.

This recipe has a suggestion: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/boddington-clone-anyone-got-good-one-5434/

I love brewing indoors in the cold weather. That's what I do - allgrain - indoors.

Good luck though.

Could you clarify please,
northern first wort
boil 60 min
ekg (boil 45min)
ekg (flame out) wait for 60 min
Right?

upd:
got it, my bad.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453488756.683726.jpg

Here is my take on this recipie. I used Wyeast 1968, and it really turned out great, this is a keeper for sure. I got 87% efficiency so I came out a little strong at 7.2% abv, which I don't mind, a keeper in the rotation!!

PS: it looks a little darker in the picture then it really is.

I needed a beer to throw on the nitro tap. Figured a Boddington's would be just right to start the summer.

I would have followed the recipe to a tee if I had all the ingredients.
But my twist, due to limitations were all Fuggles for all 3 additions.
I also had 04 available and it's been going strong for 2 days now.

I used the BIAB method and the calculator got me to an OG of 1.042 which was just above expected.

Hope to have this carbing in 2 weeks. The wort tastes pretty darn good.

Boddingtons Bitter 1972 Recipe

I went to the museum to look up the recipe for Boddingtons Bitter from around about 1972 when I lived nearby the Strangeways brewery in Salford.
I then contacted a professional brewer who often visited the boddingtons brewery and who is familiar with the brewing setup and recipe and water etc.
I've just finished fermenting a 5 gallon batch and it tastes remarkably like the Boddingtons of old.
Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll post the recipe (which is very basic!).
JKNL

here's a recipe based on the late 60s version (ie not the horrendous beer it is now) So pale and assertively bitter, not too much in the way of flavou/aroma hops

Pale Malt - 77.5 %
Lager Malt 15.5%
Torrified Wheat 2.5%
Acidulated Malt 2.5% (or omit and use appropriate amount of acid/alkalinity in mash)
Flaked MAize 2%

EKG 60 mins 40IBU calculated tinseth
EKG 15 mins 5 IBU calculated tinseth

OG 1.036
7 EBC

Boddies yeast. Good luck getting that :) So your english yeast of choice

Back