how long will a tank of CO2 last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
I have a 20 lb tank the other night the gauge on the regulator read about 800 psi. tonight when I went to pour a beer the tank was empty. I have used the bottle on 6 kegs and it was on 800 the whole time. should I start looking for a leak after I get it refilled? is this normal?

Thanks glad I had some bottled beer around tonight.:tank::mug:

Yes refill and start leak chechin...start 30psi at the tank and regulator with soapy water.. move on to any and all conections and double check ur keg(s)

You only got 6 kegs out of a 20# tank?? Yeah, you have a leak someplace. Unless it wasn't filled all the way to start with. I've been using a 20# tank for over a year (I have it feeding four 3 gallon kegs), running at least double the keg volume you have from it. I'm still showing over 700psi on the high side (it's at room temp).

Few things to check for.
At the regulator connection to the tank, make sure there's either a nylon washer/spacer, a fiber one, or one of the perm ones you install with an allen wrench. If you have the one with an allen wrench fitting, make sure it's still intact (mine broke at some point).
Check your lines for leaks. If you're using worm clamps, this is especially true. Oetiker clamps won't become lose after being secured and leak free.
Check your keg connections. Both QD's, posts and lids.

You can sometimes locate a leak by getting the feed up to about 30 psi and listening. Or, charge the system, turn off the tank and close off lines/feeds until you find the one that leaks. Then address that issue.

You should get about 3 kegs per pound. I looked around once and saw all sorts of numbers, and this seemed to be a median.

Damn... So for normal, 5 gallon kegs, that would be about 60 kegs... Figuring mine are just over half that in size I should easily get 100 kegs. :eek: I hope to at least be within hydro date when I need to get it filled again (it was tested in 2011).

Damn... So for normal, 5 gallon kegs, that would be about 60 kegs... Figuring mine are just over half that in size I should easily get 100 kegs. :eek: I hope to at least be within hydro date when I need to get it filled again (it was tested in 2011).

Ive never had a problem with the hydro date.. that is if u ur.swapping.. if u want to fill they will check but ive swaped tanks that were 5 years out of date no problem.. more than once

Another way to check for leaks, is to do check everything in stages. First put some gas into the gauges, see if it leaks out, then open the check valve, then keg, etc etc etc, closing the tank valve each step. It should show you what stage your leak is at. Then hit it that stage with some soap/water.

Back