Finally... [tomato] GAZPACHO TIME!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Just finished putting together a batch using wonderful garden tomatoes (from my sister/mother's garden). Used my father's recipe which is always great. Used just over a bulb of garlic in it so it's going to be potent. :ban:

If anyone is interested, here's the recipe...

6 chopped tomatoes (garden fresh) amount equal to 6 large tomatoes.
2/3 cup chopped cucumber
1 whole green Bell pepper
½-1 red Bell pepper
Celery tops (with leaves)
1 bulb fresh chopped garlic
1 medium onion, chopped (Vidalia onions work really well IMO)
Handful chopped fresh parsley
Juice from 1 lemon
6-10 shakes of L&P Worcestershire Sauce
½ cup EVOO
42-48 oz. V8 juice
Fresh ground black pepper (to cover)
3-4 shakes of hot sauce (to taste)
Spike seasoning mix (cover top)

Mix all veggies and seasonings in large pot or container. Including EVOO, lemon juice, etc. (not the V8). Pour in the V8 juice to cover or make the consistency you prefer (chunky or thinner).

Refrigerate 4-8 hours, or overnight so that flavors can meld fully.

Serve with crackers or bread of your choice.

Interesting recipe, but it has five ingredients my wife won't eat: pepper, hot sauce, raw onion, raw garlic and Worcestershire Sauce.

Then make it for you and she can eat whatever she wants... It's a wonderful combination. The garlic level repels mosquito's, vampires, and unwanted guests. :rockin: You don't need to use the hot sauce, or use less. I only use a little in mine (compared with what my father would use) but it does add a certain something to the mix.

I have a batch of it melding in the fridge now. Probably going to have a bowl for lunch tomorrow. I almost feel bad for anyone I meet after that... Almost... :ban:

That certainly has a ton of garlic. Raw garlic is extremely potent. Especially in a cold, uncooked soup.

I make a great orange colored gazpacho. The peppers are the only cooked ingredient. Compare it to yours if you want...

1 red pepper, roasted whole, deseeded and peeled
1 yellow pepper, roasted whole, deseeded and peeled
1 jalapeno chile pepper, destemmed, roasted whole and peeled
1 stalk celery, plus any extra yellow leaves
500 g English cucumber, peeled
150 grams plum or vine ripened seasonal tomatoes, peeled
6 Spring onions
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp passata (thick tomato sauce) [optional]
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
generous dash of tabasco, to taste
Fresh ground white pepper
Kosher salt
Water
Minced chives, for garnish
Minced bell pepper, for garnish
Basil oil, for garnish

Incorporate all of the ingredients except for the garnish in a blender. Add water as necessary. Strain twice through a fine mesh sieve, season to taste, garnish with the basil oil, chives, and more fresh bell pepper. Traditional gazpacho contains some day old rustic bread for thickening if you want to go that route.

I didn't intend this to be a recipe dumping ground. IF you want to post YOUR recipe, create your own thread. I also couldn't care less about what a traditional gazpacho contains. This was/is my father's recipe, so it is as it should be.

I didn't intend this to be a recipe dumping ground. IF you want to post YOUR recipe, create your own thread. I also couldn't care less about what a traditional gazpacho contains. This was/is my father's recipe, so it is as it should be.

You could possibly rename the thread title to "My Fathers Gazpacho like recipe, not intended to be traditonal, don't give any opinions or variations, cos I'm very possessive and very unfriendly".

It is long, but more fitting.

No disrespect to your father, I'm sure he was a great guy.

Back