Yeast Reuse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I always try the search on here and never have much luck. I am wondering if there is a yeast reuse guide somewhere on here? I have never saved and reused yeast but was thinking it might be a good idea and would like to know the correct and safe way to do it.

Thanks

I am wondering if there is a yeast reuse guide somewhere on here? I have never saved and reused yeast but was thinking it might be a good idea and would like to know the correct and safe way to do it.

There are different approaches so there is no one correct way. If you want to reuse yeast out of the primary then the yeast washing process linked above is probably the most popular around HBT.

I just grab a 10 ml sample from the bottom of the primary (after racking the brew off), blop that into a prepared starter, put it on the plate, let it go for 40 hours, then pitch it into my next brew. Bingo-bango. I tend to only do this once (ie: use a fresh vial/smack pack every other brew). Full blown yeast washing will get you much more mileage, but I tend to keep it simple.

Back