Arugula in beer? Which Style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandPsbeer

Reaction score
Hello,

My father in law has been growing arugula in his garden for years... Each year the arugula comes back even more peppery... It's fantastic. I thought I would pick some this coming year and try to use it in a beer...

My question is, which style would be the best to add a little pepper and how much do I add?

I'm still a little new when it comes to using crazy adjuncts such as arugula...

Thanks for the help!

Currently brewing all mash:

Choco Peanut Butter stout
Czech Style Lager

I would think something naturally spicy like a Belgian.

I could see it being a nice flavor, but I think the amount you would need might end up turning your wort green...

I would think something naturally spicy like a Belgian.

I could see it being a nice flavor, but I think the amount you would need might end up turning your wort green...

Not necessarily. I think you could distill the arugula flavor into a potion. Randy Mosher goes into great detail about potion making in Radical Brewing. Definitely a good read if you're into using some wild ingredients.

I think if you're going to do this, try the vodka distillation method. If you put straight arugula in, you're going to get a ton of vegetal flavors. All that green material will be like adding lettuce to your beer, and nothing about lettuce beer can be good.

Saison would be my recommendation. Use a spicy hop with a citrusy hop, and add some black peppercorns as well.

I love arugula. I'd "dry-arugula" the beer, as it definitely loses its peppery qualities when it's cooked. Personally I'd say a cream ale or lager with saaz for bittering and flavor so that the herbal and pepper notes shine.

Back