High mash temp for IIPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Today I mashed the tits up recipe at a temp of 160 for 90 min not on purpose of course I just didn't pay close enough attention to my strike temp before I put it in. After 90 min the temp had dropped to 152.5. I was aiming to mash at 153 but I feel like I mashed closer to 160 more of the time. My OG was 1.078 while my recipe called for an OG of 1.082. According to iBrewmaster I should reach a FG of 1.020 with two packs of Safale 05. The tits up IIPA did not specify his FG. Should I be expecting a lower FG? What does mashing a IIPA at such a high temp do to it, what can I expect the effect on the out come to be?

No I wouldn't expect a lower FG, since you mashed a bit high, you probably have less fermentables, thus it will probably be a higher FG then expected. Rule of thumb stuff: Higher temps = less fermentables, higher FG, maltier beer. Lower temps = more fermentables, lower FG, drier beer. This of course is assuming your yeast pitching rate is ok.

But I bet it will still be a mighty fine brew either way. Don't sweat it. I love IIPAs.

Worse case is that your beer is a bit sweeter and a little more full bodied...and yes, less alcoholic. If hour were aiming for a dryer beer it wont happen. You can add some malformation or malt extract to make up for the gravity loss but the flavor profile will staythe same.

A low mashing temperature and the addition of sugar are hallmarks of the IIPA style. This style strives for reduced body to improve drinkability while keeping an alcoholic kick, much like a Tripel does.

That beer may be more American Barleywine like than IIPA. Other than that, it should still be enjoyable.

Ok an american barleywine that makes a lot of scence I never thought about them as being IIPA with more body.

Everything is fine... youll get awesome result. presently drink one and soooo good ;) I won a gold medal too with what you did . Enjoy!

You will be fine. Lagunitas IPA is mashed at 160. It won't cause a beer to taste sweet. Sweetness in beer is caused by fermentable sugars that do not ferment. Unfermentable sugars created via high mash temp do not taste sweet.

Lagunitas IPA is a middle gravity range IPA. Mashing at a high temp is a good idea in that case. Brewing an IIPA with that temperature schedule will not provide the same result. Fermentability needs to be very good in this style in order for the bittering and hops to have a chance of competing with the malt character.

Back