Simple Oatmeal Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neversummer

Reaction score
I'm looking for a somewhat simple oatmeal stout recipe. So if anyone would like to help me out i'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Here is one I was going to try. Haven't brewed it yet, but it is on my shortlist.

Oatmeal Stout Clone

From Clonebrews:
Toast 0.5lb oats in the oven on a cookie sheet for 75min (turning every 15min) at 325˚.

Steep with:
0.5lb Crystal 55
0.5lb Chocolate Malt
0.25lb Roasted Barley

5.75lb M&F light DME

2oz EKG 4.25% @60min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

just made all grain verison of this

LME 3.5L 7lbs

steeping grains
flaked oats 1lb
Choc malt 350L .75lb
victory .75lbs
Crystal 80l .5lb
roasted barley .5lb

Hops
60min EKG for 40ibu's
yeast english ale of your choice i used s-04

In my opinion, doing an extract version of an oatmeal stout is a bad idea. The problem is that oatmeal is an unmalted grain whose starches have not been converted. If you don't at least do a partial mash, all you are going to get from oatmeal in an extract recipe is starchy beer. You need a mash to get the good stuff from the oatmeal.

In my opinion, doing an extract version of an oatmeal stout is a bad idea. The problem is that oatmeal is an unmalted grain whose starches have not been converted. If you don't at least do a partial mash, all you are going to get from oatmeal in an extract recipe is starchy beer. You need a mash to get the good stuff from the oatmeal.

Using flaked oats solves this problem. They've already been converted, so no mash is required, only steeping. Regards, GF.

Using flaked oats solves this problem. They've already been converted, so no mash is required, only steeping. Regards, GF.

Absolutely not true! The process of making the flaked oats gelatinizes the starches so you don't have to boil the oatmeal before mashing it, but you still have to mash it just like any other flaked grain. The same principle applies to all flaked grains -- they have no sugar in them, just gelatinized starch which eliminates the "cereal mash" -- preboiling, but does not eliminate the main mash for starch conversion.

as mkling has suggested, if you want to make an oatmeal stout, read up on doing a partial mash. yes, you can steep the oats and the starch haze won't be a problem because you're brewing a stout. but if you want the qualities derived from the oats that you perceive in oatmeal stout, mash it.

Back