Re Carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargon

Reaction score
my buddy has a nice tassting brew but think he messed up on the priming some how the beer has been sitting at 70ish degree's and no carbonation is it possable to reopen the beers and add sugar drop and recap without ruining the taste?

it can take weeks , sometimes months to fully carb , how long has it been since you bottled?
how did he prime? don't open them yet. plz explain

How long have the beers been sitting at 70 degrees?

Generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

Read this,

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

And if it's been under 3 weeks, then let them alone for some more time.

Well here is the story.... i went over adn brew up a nice batch of IPA we went half on recipe.... went about 1 lbs crystal steeped and 9 lbs DME anyways fermented for 1.5 weeks secondary for same with dry hopped...... not using a hop bag slug ended up on bottom and he boiled water w/priming sugar and added but did not stir due to slug..... he should have racked to priming bucket added and then stired in but he bottle been about a week and i just tried it and there is very lite carb... im about to wait a nother week and then pop a bottle in fridge before i go doing some drastic alternative priming..

Definitely wait until 4 weeks have gone by before deciding to fix a problem that may not exist. Some beers just take that long (or longer), if you do something too early you may create bombs.

and he boiled water w/priming sugar and added but did not stir due to slug..... he should have racked to priming bucket added and then stired in

Yeah, that's your problem. I'm assuming you adding the priming sugar to the same vessel you were fermenting in and you didn't even stir. The sugar is going to be incredibly unevenly suspended in the beer so you're likely going to get many that are not even going to be carbed and a few that will terribly over-carbed.

Here's what you should ALWAYS do when bottle carbing: dissolve the priming sugar in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Cool and add to the bottling bucket first. Then, when you rack your beer from the fermentation vessel to the bottling bucket, the sugar water will naturally stir itself evenly into the beer. Bottle and cap as usual. Then give it at least 3 weeks at 70F to be fully carbed... "at least" being the key phrase.

I hope everything turns out alright

Yeah, that's your problem. I'm assuming you adding the priming sugar to the same vessel you were fermenting in and you didn't even stir. The sugar is going to be incredibly unevenly suspended in the beer so you're likely going to get many that are not even going to be carbed and a few that will terribly over-carbed.

Here's what you should ALWAYS do when bottle carbing: dissolve the priming sugar in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Cool and add to the bottling bucket first. Then, when you rack your beer from the fermentation vessel to the bottling bucket, the sugar water will naturally stir itself evenly into the beer. Bottle and cap as usual. Then give it at least 3 weeks at 70F to be fully carbed... "at least" being the key phrase.

I hope everything turns out alright

+1 ....you won't need to stir the sugar in if you rack your beer on top of it. plus when you rack you can laeve the sediment behind even easier than trying to bottle from the primary.....

well i definitly know what went wrong and we were talking to cuase since he did add the priming sugar i was like. "well the sugar is somewhere." but im going to wait a week even under carbonated the beer tastes good it was a nice learning experience! lol

Sugar water is heavier, so I'm betting that a good portion of it was left with your trub. So you'll probably get a bunch of them that are very undercarbed and some that are slightly undercarbed. But... they'll all be BEER anyway. :D

Well as a follow up and hopefully someone won't do the same mistake i founds some that were flat some that were just right and some that had a nice 3 inch head till the last drop!

Latest posts

Back