Blowoff tube or airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
hey Guys,

I am about to rack the wort into the primary. I am using a 6 gallon carboy. Is that enough room to not have to worry about using the tube?

Thanks,

Bob

mayday1019 said:
hey Guys,

I am about to rack the wort into the primary. I am using a 6 gallon carboy. Is that enough room to not have to worry about using the tube?

Is it a 5 gallon batch--I assume yes.

It depends on how vigorous a ferment you have: you may or may not need a blowoff tube. If you prefer the airlock, you could start with the airlock and keep a close eye on it. If it is, or appears close to, spewing kreusen into the airlock, take it off and install a blow-off hose.

If you have the gear you need, there's really no reason not to just start with the blowoff hose, though. It *is* an airlock--exact same principle.

I just brewed a hefeweizen (5 gal batch in 6.5 gal tank) and the krausen made it about 1/4 way up the airlock before receding. I should have used a blowoff hose for that one. Wheat is known for the big krausen, and I also used a starter adding the the quick fermentation. With a 6 gallon,you may want to use a blow off hose.

It'll probably be fine with just the airlock. It's still pretty cold where you are (I think) and you (I assume) aren't throwing it on top of an old pile of yeast (you're pitching new yeast, right?). You're ferment probably won't be explosive, you Should be okay in the 6 gallon carboy, if it looks really full when finally get it into the carboy, use a blow off.

Thanks Guys,

So i just jam the top of the blow off tube into the top of the carboy, and the other end into some sort of jar, right?

Thanks again for all of the help guys!

I use a 6 gallon carboy and usually have 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 gallons of wort. I always use a blowoff tube regardless of the amount and I leave the blowoff tube in place throughout the fermentation until I rack to secondary. I see no reason not to play it safe and no reason to change to a airlock halfway through primary fermentation.
BTW, an easy and effective blowoff tube is taking the parts out of the main body of a three piece airlock and pushing a 1/2" clear tube onto the center stem. Make sure the airlock doesn't have a bottom screen or restriction. If so, cut it off. See pic below for examples. The one on the left is unrestricted and can be made by cutting off the restricted portion.
Airlocks.jpg

BlowoffTube.jpg

The Primary you see had 5 1/4 gallon to start and I pitched a starter that had been stepped up twice. I definately had lots of blowoff but in large part this was because I always put in big starters.

Back