Beer and cider mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did some searching, didn't find anything on this exactly...

Last winter we had bought a porter we weren't crazy about and I had the idea to mix it with fresh apple cider (3 parts porter 2 parts cider) and it turned out to be delicious. We called them stocking stuffers. So I get to thinking about how we could turn this idea into something that could be bottled and wouldn't require mixing.

If I brewed a 3 gallon batch of porter wort, mixed it with 2 gallons of cider in the primary, and used nottingham dry yeast, anyone know what that yeast would do in the cider? I'd like to retain some of the sweetness from the cider. I know apfelwien ferments very dry, but I'm hoping that the beer yeast wouldn't attenuate as much in the cider. I'll probably just try it this fall and find out. Any guesses on how it will be?

One good question is would the nice blended flavour be nice after an extended time?

It may be that it is only nice freshly mixed...

On the otherhand it may only get better...

Slightly OT: It's called a poor man's black velvet when you use stout and cider...

My understanding of a poor man's black velvet is with cider the way we usually refer to it. In the stocking stuffer I'm not talking about cider like sparkling hard cider...talking about fresh unfiltered apple juice.

My understanding of a poor man's black velvet is with cider the way we usually refer to it. In the stocking stuffer I'm not talking about cider like sparkling hard cider...talking about fresh unfiltered apple juice.

Whoops.

Cider and hard cider is so confusing (for Canadians and Brits).

I threw 5 gal of juice on top of a WLP500 yeast cake

2 weeks later -- voila, delicious belgian-ish hard cider

I mixed it with its ancestor (donor of the yeast cake) and it was quite good

i like your idea of mixing in some juice to ferment them together, but i would do it in the secondary -- seems like it'd retain more apple essence

I threw 5 gal of juice on top of a WLP500 yeast cake

2 weeks later -- voila, delicious belgian-ish hard cider

I mixed it with its ancestor (donor of the yeast cake) and it was quite good

i like your idea of mixing in some juice to ferment them together, but i would do it in the secondary -- seems like it'd retain more apple essence

Yum...that sounds awesome.

Back