2 day forced carb. Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
Just as soon as the gas line gets sorted out- I'll be force carbonating my beer (for the first time). Midwest has a video where they instruct you to set the PSI to 40 for one day, and 20 for a second, or two days at 30. I've read plenty of potential pros and cons- can you guys give me your personal expereinces? Is it really somthing I should not attempt?

The temp you set changes the reccomended PSI, but if you jack it up to 40 and shake the bejesus out of it for about a half hour, then let it rest for a while and come back and shake the bejesus out of it again, and repeat a couple times, your beer will carb quickly. There is always the danger of overcarbing...

I always set mine to 35 PSI for 36 hours. A bit longer if the beer is particularly "heavy".

30 PSI for 48 hours works well. Just be sure to get in there at about the 36 hour mark and test it. Shut off the manifold/valve, bleed the excess pressure from the keg, set PSI to serving and draw a full 12 Oz's (after clearing the lines).

Don't just judge the look, but taste it as well. You'll know when it tastes alright.

It's easier to come in a bit under-barb'd and then let it slowly get to proper levels by setting at the 10PSI, but degassing a keg because the carbonic bite is too much is a bit of a pain. That's why I won't shake kegs.

All of the above is assuming your kegs are chilled to 37-ish degrees.

Sweet-I've got a fridge that wants to be at 37-
With a carbonic bite- would I know that I have one because of a specific taste and feel, or will it be too carb'd?
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll not shake the kegs to start- as it looks like one more potential mistake I could make.

oguss0311 said:
Sweet-I've got a fridge that wants to be at 37-
With a carbonic bite- would I know that I have one because of a specific taste and feel, or will it be too carb'd?
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll not shake the kegs to start- as it looks like one more potential mistake I could make.
It's feel like soda/pop. You'll know it.

Personally, I find a little patience to be very rewarding ...... I have force-carbed in the past and have had to deal with the over-carbing that others have mentioned. Personally, I like to carb at my serving pressure (10 psi) for 7-10 days. Works perfect, no over-carbing, just requires a little patience.

Works for me ! :rockin:

- GL63

Back