Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the citra pellets a week after I pitched the yeast and left it for another week. Then crash cooled it and fined with gelatin.

Has anyone dry hopped this recipe into a mild IPA? Looking to split the batch into two fermenters, one per the recipe and one with a dry hop, or flame out hop. Any advice on integrating some Citra hops??

Thanks, Jim

In my last iteration of this recipe, I used centennial for bittering then finished with 2oz citra at flameout and 2oz citra hop stand (10 gal batch). It was my favorite variation so far.

Ridiculously clear.

View attachment 1457952174283.jpg

View attachment 1457952185527.jpg

Has anyone dry hopped this recipe into a mild IPA? Looking to split the batch into two fermenters, one per the recipe and one with a dry hop, or flame out hop. Any advice on integrating some Citra hops??

Thanks, Jim

I did 1/2 ounce of galaxy at flame out once. I missed the original recipe so that was the last time I hopped it up. If you want a hoppy brew hop it up. I prefer it how it is and stick with my other hoppy brews.

:rockin: Yup! :ban:

It's very good. I used the Wyeast 1098 British Ale liquid yeast this time & it came out very nice. The citrus in the hops is emphasized.

No surprises here.

My wife, who hates beer, loves this British Blonde. My 25-year-old daughter who is a hop fiend, said, "it's very light, it's very good" My 22-year-old son likes it too........... and he's an IPA nutcase.

Damn, A very nice recipe. Thanks BM! :D

A Jalapeno next. Something that'll knock my socks off.

latest

I'm giving the 5 gallon batch a go tonight. Quick question. I have a 6 gallon pot. How much water should I start out with? I'm not comprehending the boil size vs. batch size. Would I always add water to equal the batch size at the end of the boil?

I was thinking 4 gallons for the initial mash, and add another 2 gallons of 159 degree water during the modified fly Sparge.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

I’ve been tweaking a house ale recipe for a few months now and this is it. This is the recipe that will be a permanent fixture at my house. I’ve brewed it twice, served the first 10 gallons to friends, families and “curious on-lookers”, and just finished the second 10 gallon batch with identical results.

Light and crisp. The IBU’s are on the low side, but there is a nice sweet/spicy balance to the beer. The great fresh taste of a craft ale with an extremely clean finish. This reminds me of what a local craft brewery might come out of the gates with to win over a new market. Very drinkable with wide appeal. I’ve yet to have anyone, even BMC drinkers not say it’s one of the best beers they’ve tasted….period. The secret lies in the name. I moved through Northern Brewer, Nugget and Pearle hops, all in combination with Cascade. Even went with a strict Cascade hop bill, but was just a bit on the tart side for this lighter grain bill.

Once I matched up Centennial as the bittering hop and Cascade as a flavor/aroma hop…that’s when the magic happened.

This is also a simple, hard to screw up recipe. At just around 4%, this is a quaffer. Due to the lighter grain bill…this is easily a beer that can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks (if you keg).

View attachment 3114

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

Bottled a 1 gallon AG batch.
I am going to wait until it is carbed & cold before I make my full opinion, but smelled like a corona!

It won't taste like one, unless you bottle it in clear glass & leave them out in the sun for a bit.

;)

I brewed this and got a %6 .I am pretty sure my reading are right .It seems I did everything the same for a 5 gallon batch. Anyone else get a high abv.

Could I be done fermenting after 3 days? It had two solid days of vigorous fermentation, now it seems to have stalled. What should I do?

image.jpg

Could I be done fermenting after 3 days? It had two solid days of vigorous fermentation, now it seems to have stalled. What should I do?

It's done! Let it sit another week or even less. I kegged this after a week before and the FG was 1.007. Vigorous fermentation only lasts 2 or 3 days at most in my experience.

On a side note: I finally brewed this with the Nottingham yeast. Before I was using 1056. According to my palate; they taste exactly the same.

It didn't seem long .4-5 days. 2-3 days of good bubbling .I must of got a wrong reading. Just tasted it today and it really didn't have any alcoholt taste to it .

I just got done brewing this today. I made an 11 gallon batch and what a beautiful day it was to brew out on the back lanai. My daughter-in-law asked me to make her a nice session blonde ale. I never made one before, so I thought I'd try this one after all the many great reviews. Followed the original recipe but used Wyeast 1056 with a 2 liter starter, instead of dry yeast. Smelled great and I can't get over how nice the color looked. Will report back in a few weeks when I pour a pint from the kegs.

John

I just got done brewing this today. I made an 11 gallon batch and what a beautiful day it was to brew out on the back lanai. My daughter-in-law asked me to make her a nice session blonde ale. I never made one before, so I thought I'd try this one after all the many great reviews. Followed the original recipe but used Wyeast 1056 with a 2 liter starter, instead of dry yeast. Smelled great and I can't get over how nice the color looked. Will report back in a few weeks when I pour a pint from the kegs.

John

The 1056 tastes the same as notty with this recipe imo. It has quite a bready flavor that's for sure. I truly enjoy it. My wife likes my citrus bomb ipas more though :)

So brewed a 5 gallon batch last night but accidentally double hopped. Any opinions?
I am thinking of just brewing another grain batch only and mixing the two so this is not like a SMASH.

So brewed a 5 gallon batch last night but accidentally double hopped. Any opinions?
I am thinking of just brewing another grain batch only and mixing the two so this is not like a SMASH.

I would just enjoy if for what it is.
I suppose you could boil up a gallon of etract, chill and toss it in the fermenter if you were worried about it being to hoppy.

Every addition was doubled?

If so it might be more like a low alcohol pale ale.

Every addition was doubled?

If so it might be more like a low alcohol pale ale.

Yes hops were doubled. I am making this as a community brew entry level beer. Force of habit having my hops in 1 oz pkg. I split the containers by weight and hopped away.
I still have 7# of grain so most likely going to boil that up and add to fermenter.

5 gallon hop schedule
(I used 1oz)

(I used 1 oz)

Yes hops were doubled. I am making this as a community brew entry level beer. Force of habit having my hops in 1 oz pkg. I split the containers by weight and hopped away.
I still have 7# of grain so most likely going to boil that up and add to fermenter.

5 gallon hop schedule
(I used 1oz)

(I used 1 oz)

I see.

Get another ounce or 2 and dry hop and it should be a nice session IPA. That's what I would do before I added more wort.

Just want to say I had really good air lock activity 11 hours after pitching the yeast. I didn't use a blow off tube on this one, as I thought it would be a more restrained fermentation and I have 30% headroom space in my conical. Boy was I wrong! Six hours later (17 hours after pitching yeast) the yeast was foaming out of the air lock, so I put on a blow off tube. It's going like gangbusters and making the usual chugging noises as the C02 exits into the jug of Star San. This beer is for a family get together coming up in April, and I will have my Weizenbock and this session blonde ale on tap. Hope my daughter-in-law likes it, she requested I brew it for her.

John

This beer will be one of the 5 or so I want to brew for my Summer party.

In the original post Centennial was chosen for the 60 min addition because it is a clean bittering hop. Could I swap it with another clean bittering hop without changing the taste of the beer too much?
Magnum for example?

I know there is not much hops used in this recipe but where I live Magnum is less than half the price of Centennial.
So a bit off topic but in general could I use Magnum for bittering instead of Centennial and not expect too much of a change in the taste of the beer?

Thanks! :mug:

No beer, even this one, ferments in three days. Even if activity stops, the yeast are working to clean up their own by-products. I personally would never take a beer out of the fermenter for less than two or three weeks.

I've gone grain to glass in less than ten days with this beer.

It was outstanding.

I've also left it in the fermeter for a couple of weeks. It added nothing to the brew but a longer wait period

It was outstanding.

I've also left it in the fermeter for a couple of weeks. It added nothing to the brew but a longer wait period

X2 on both things you say here.

X3 here.. I've done it in 10 days and forgotten about it for a month. They were both just fine.

It was outstanding.

Curious. Any difference in hop flavor noticed?
Would be a great exbeeriment to see if there any/much difference in a beer that spent 10/30 days in primary.

x4
and I just bottled a batch that I crashed at 10 days and bottled at 2 weeks.

Happened to have a extended relative of the wife in town that night and they drank the 'not quite a whole bottle' worth at the end of the bucket and loved it....flat....

Would be a great exbeeriment to see if there any/much difference in a beer that spent 10/30 days in primary.

considering there is hardly any hop flavor to begin with, I'd say no...

None whatsoever.

I would also be just about willing to say that if just a bittering addition would be used there would be almost no flavor difference.

Maybe it's just me. I drink danky IPAs all the time and I could be immune but I detect no hop flavor in this brew at all.

It was outstanding.

X3 here.. I've done it in 10 days and forgotten about it for a month. They were both just fine.

Big difference between 3 days and 10. 10 means 7-8 days fermenting and 2-3 days carbing. Not intending any pissing match here, but nobody should believe they could brew this on Thursday and drink it on Sunday.

Big difference between 3 days and 10. 10 means 7-8 days fermenting and 2-3 days carbing. Not intending any pissing match here, but nobody should believe they could brew this on Thursday and drink it on Sunday.

I've done it and so have others. Gravity down to 1.007 after 5 days. Rack, and 24 hour cold crash. Carb at 30psi for 36 hours. Drinking it in 8 days. Tastes the same as aging for a month.

The poster asked if it could be done fermenting in three days.

The answer to this question is yes.

I've done it and so have others. Gravity down to 1.007 after 5 days. Rack, and 24 hour cold crash. Carb at 30psi for 36 hours. Drinking it in 8 days. Tastes the same as aging for a month.

Exactly.

When I've use Notty for this beer, fermentation is done in about 72 hours. Force carb shaking the keg and you can be drinking it in less than a week.

It will be clearer after about a week in the keg, but the taste doesn't change

Yes, exactly that.. about a full week in the carboy, then into the keg with a fining agent and 30 - 40 PSI

I am looking at making a full 5 gallon batch.
How ever due to limited equipment I can't go full AG,
Has anyone ever made it partial grain/partial extract with good results ?
I was thinking of massing 2 or 3# 2 row 1# carpil
And then using 3# DME
For a total of 5# as called for in the extract recipe.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back