Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brass Hoppers Brewery is the result of my best friend in Tallahassee and I getting together and dropping some coin on a bunch of brewing supplies. Originally, if it were just me, I would've gone with GrassLands Brewery.

My last name is Grass, his last name is Brown. We're both hop-heads. Hence, the simplistic combination of the two yields a fairly unique name: Brass Hoppers Brewery.

Rebel House Brewing Company, I got the idea when I lived in Ireland in county cork which is known as the "rebel" county. The name just kinda hit me and I love it. Some day soon I will be going into actual production and sell my own beer! Can't wait!

I'm currently working on 2 names. One is "THE FIREWATER BREWING CO" Since I'm an asst. chief on our local fire dept that explains that. I use firefighter themes for those labels such as "fire extinguisher inside", or "pop top and swill"

The other is "ALMOSTA BREW CO". That label says "Poorly made with the cheapest ingredientrs, pure city water and little skill, ENJOY!!"

It's simple as hell, but the brewery is right near the Bay of Green Bay in WI, thus we are "bayside"...Simple but I think it sounds like a name of a big micro brewery...And it goes well with the funky names of brews we're working on...

I am a big fan of Mack and Jack's beer from Seattle. I have two Labrador dogs named Jack and Max- hence JacknMax Brewing. There may be an unfortunate double entendre to the name, now that I read it.

My beers are named after family pets:
Jack's ambition American Wheat
Black Max Oatmeal Stout
Logan's runoff Belgian Strong Ale (named after my wife's draft horse)
etc...

My brewery is named after my dog, which isn't very interesting or original, but there's a story behind my dog's name.

My wife and I got our dog from a greyhound rescue service. He raced at the Lakes Region track in NH. From the records we were able to find online, he did pretty well and even won the last race he finished, but then for some reason it looks like he didn't finish his last race, and his career was over at the age of 2-1/2. Two weeks later, he joined our family.

His racing name was Twenty One or Bust, which we shortened to Blackjack. Eight years later, Blackjack Brewing Co. was finally established. Blackjack (the dog) is now 12 years old and still enjoying retirement.

4426437167_a5d4a2bf8f_o.png

My main group of friends call ourselves the "Front Row Crew." The history of that name is a bit long, so I won't explain it. However, "Front Row Brew" is a pretty natural extension of that.

Liquid Diet Brewing Company

I started brewing while my wife was nursing a broken jaw (wisdom teeth removal after effects, I swear) and since beer is sometimes referred to as liquid bread, it just made sense. Our first beer was a nice Mexican style Pilsner called "The Mexicant". It's from the way we make fun of my brothers in law; "You can't finish your beer? Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't?"

RipperBravo6

Kershner Creek Brewery just became Kershner Creek Brewery and Meadery this weekend with my first mead bubbling away nicely :)

BROD BREWING & BEVERAGE CO.

After a long day at work, its always nice coming home and pounding a few BRODs.

HopDog Brewing Co.
My dog, Jake, is the biggest beer hound I've ever seen. I go anywhere near the beer fridge and he's right there, waiting for his share. The hoppier, the better. He's just waiting for me to get my keezer done.

Jake1.jpg

S&M brewing co. after Shaughn & Mark. Shaughn is my roommate through my last year of college, consequently the year (we) started brewing.

slc10: I've got a Westie too! Her name's Lilly.

Tower Brewing Company

I am going with a medieval theme.

I will release a Twisted Tower series of more exotic/ strong/ rare beers.

The logo will be a Rook chess piece basically w/ some banners and an outline.

I'll say with utter confidence and general ass-holishness that my brewery name beats all...

House Of Pants Brewing!

Why? It's like...my name and junk. Why are you so nosey?! Gosh! It's like...you asked!?!!!?>@23ke3rie

heheh

just finished a big big bottle

House Of Pants rules.

House Of Pants Brewpub & Shenanigans! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I finally landed on a brewery name that's wholly appropriate for me and my family:

Mischief Brewing

I did partially steal it from a good friend's band name, but he gave me the go-ahead to use it as long as I provide him free beer...

And for the record, my arrest 20 years ago for "malicious mischief" had absolutely NOTHING to do with this brewery name :p

"Magic Ant Tavern"
Rolls well off the tongue. Inspired by one of the best games ever made- EarthBound. :)

I'll be naming my brewstand the "Tritoch"
Named after an Esper from Final Fantasy VI because they (the esper and the brewstand) both use fire, electricity, and ice.

The brains of the brewery (the control panel) will be named the "Mammon Machine."
From Chrono Trigger.

"Trifecta Brewing Co." The logo is a three-headed dog.

Two friends of mine and I were called the "Trifecta" once, as we're always together. The name stuck in my mind, and we'd even throw it around when reuniting saying, "the trifecta is finally back together!"

Though we plan to brew together sometime (we haven't yet...it's just me), we still enjoy the homebrews together.
4457606724_b1f5fb0db9_m.jpg

Starrfish Brewing Company -- easy last name to play off of, an i love fishing. small brookies to good size sharks in the surf.

simcoeSmash.jpg

My newest label for SIMCOE S.M.A.S.H. with Starrfish brewery logo incorporated into label.

Going to start working the starrfish b.c. in from now on.

mine is boring, but has a meaning to me- Broken Leg Brewery.

I broke my leg playing hockey on March 16, and it still hasn't healed. I started a more "quiet hobby"- brewing. I have a new nickname, though- "Brewmistress". I would give any more details no matter how much you beg.....

Lorena

yowza. *searches for a picture of the tex avery wolf to post*

avery_wolf.gif

I'm a guitarist, and I'm from Texas. I love the blues, and Little Wing is one of my favorite Stevie Ray Vaughan songs.

Way back when, used to run a software company called Atomic Dog Software (can't remember how this name was picked - many years have passed). I then got a dog I named Nuclear. The software company is long since gone, but Nuclear's still with me (14 years in Feb), so I figured it made sense to go with Atomic Dog Brewery.

plus that's a badass song.

I grew up in an old one-room school house and my father made wine under the School House Winery label.

I brewed my first batch of beer at my parent's house, and called it School Master Brewing Company.

Just+Brewery+Label+copy.jpg

I am a huge Halloween geek, so it would be natural to incorporate it with my brewing, I came up with Grain Reaper Brewing, The macabre also finds its way into my beer names and tap labels:

palehorse_handle_WHT2.jpg

The Idea for this APA logo came from the book of Revelation 6:8 "I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him."

It seemed every Time I brewed last summer ,I`d turn on the radio and they were playin
Ted Nugent "Great White Buffalo" ,So after many times I took it as a sign.
You can`t deny the beer gods or ted their home brewery.

Dr. Hops is the nickname that my neighbor gave me. I've had a kegerator for years in my living room and started homebrewing last summer. I was at his house one day enjoying a beer and he said that I'm the hop doctor, so Dr. Hops was born. Ironically enough I'm starting to grow my own hops this year.

I wanted to thank everyone for their stories re: history of their brewery name, it really helped with coming up with mine. The Fox origin is obvious. The "Sleeping" is a subtle nod to my SWMBO's single greatest skill after 15 years of marriage :(. Thank goodness it was the kids idea so I'm kinda off the hook if she ever figures it out.;) My logo is my avatar. Thanks to coy and joshua for developing this. They rocked:rockin:.

I'm going with Double Hook Home Brew. It's named after one of the fishing spots at the family's vacation house in Florida.

Here's a picture of the place. Really the dock and boat are the only things that matter down there. Well, other than beer and margaritas.

100_0335.JPG

Two if By Sea comes from Paul Revere's Ride poem

He said to his friend, "If the British march
By land or sea from the town to-night,
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--
One if by land, and two if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be,
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm."

I wanted something with a bit of local flair, I try to do the same with the beer names too.

"Magic Ant Tavern"
Rolls well off the tongue. Inspired by one of the best games ever made.

Named after an Esper from FFVI because they both use fire, electricity, and ice.

Now I just gotta incorporate something from Chrono Trigger and I'll be set. :)

Useless tidbit: Tritoch is a localization, and that the proper name is Valigarmanda. It's this way in all but the earliest localizations. Just in case you want a more obscure reference :p

You going to name one of your brews "Starstorm Pale Ale"?

"Magic Ant Tavern"
Rolls well off the tongue. Inspired by one of the best games ever made- EarthBound. :)

Named after an Esper from Final Fantasy VI because they (the esper and the brewstand) both use fire, electricity, and ice.

The brains of the brewery (the control panel) will be named the "Mammon Machine."
From Chrono Trigger.

Or Belgian Triple Tech?? Could do a whole series named after different tech combos. Double Triple ect...

I named mine after my cat Bongo. He's the mascot and all beers are 'cat' related. My IPA is "Itchy ***** Ale" it's a yeasty IPA that has bongo scratching himself on the label. My yearly 'tax beer' Liquid Asset (an american amber ale) has bongo doing my taxes.

I call it the zeptobrewery because, well, 5 gallons isn't that big. For those that aren't hip - a zepto is a unit on the micro scale. a billionth of a billionth i think.

I decided on Love Brewing after i decided to make t-shirts out of a logo i designed. I wore them to a craft beer fest and everyone though it was an awesome design.

xkqf04.png

Fat Tom's Brewing 'Company'

Didn't think about it too much..well to be clear I did think about it and resolved it was a silly daydream to have for a guy who has only brewed 3 batches of beer.

Then, I read this thread. So I thought about it..Fat Tom's. I'm Tom. Its not a nickname or anything...I'm kinda fat but I've always been known as 'Big Tom'. It kinda just rolls off the tongue (that's what she said).

"Gimme a Fat Tom's IPA"...sounds about right.

Back