water for rinsing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjyh84

Reaction score
Hiya,

so ive started readin about sanitation a bit and theres a question i cant seem to answer by the stuff ive read. and most of the time all brewing questions, no matter how obscure or specific, have already been asked n answered. but in this case i havent found anything. basically, what kind of water should be used if using a sanitizer or solution that needs to be rinsed? regular tap water? distilled water?

The night before I brew I boil a big pot of water for a few minutes on my kitchen stove and let it come to room temperature overnight. I can then use this sanitized water for several things. I use it to rehydrate my yeast, top off my fermenter, and rinse my tools and fermenter after using sanitizer. But, I think that most people here just use tap water for rinsing and topping off. Rehydrating yeast still needs sanitized water.

I use the Charley Talley bleach/water/vinegar solution for sanatizing and although it is supposed to be a no-rinse sanatizer I like to give a quick rinse with water. Like many brewing techniques there is no right or wrong answer to this question different people do different things all with great success.

I agree. rinsing off the sanitizer is never a good idea. You're negating any positive effects the sanitizer afforded. I use starsan exclusively. Being a no-rinse wet sanitizer,you don't have to worry about any off flavors or effects from it's use.

i was in SF a few days ago and went to several breweries and most of them mentioned using caustic>rinse>acid>rinse for their cleaning cycles --surely they use some kind of no-rinse sanitizer at some point or for some parts/equip-- but i was just left wondering if they just use regular tap water or sanitized water (at least for the cold side of the operation). maybe they use tap water which has been sniatized by some water cleaning machine or sth like that

Back