Co2 filled in MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for "grow" stores.. in Western MA(like past 91.. I know the world falls off after 495 and then again after 290..) I pay ~$25 to exchange an empty 20# for a full 20#.. might even be worth a drive to the place where it is turtles all the way down(we have treehouse and others..). Maybe get in touch and we could find a place and have a pint together..

Greenlife Growing Supply in Billerica unexpectedly shuttered their doors without notice. I was desperate to find a new 20lb affordable option after paying their $19 per swap for a few years...

Here are data points based on my calling around.
-Green Harvest Hydroponics in Peabody: $15 for 20lb swap (I went here and they had the tanks right up front and ready to swap--in and out in 1 minute).
-GYOstuff in Cambridge: $26.95 for CO2 swap
-The Grow Hub in Littleton: said they should start stocking them in the coming weeks

In the past, I have also gone to Igo's and Keane--both of which took longer, were more particular about expiration dates on the tanks, and were much more expensive.

Greenlife Growing Supply in Billerica unexpectedly shuttered their doors without notice. I was desperate to find a new 20lb affordable option after paying their $19 per swap for a few years...

Here are data points based on my calling around.
-Green Harvest Hydroponics in Peabody: $15 for 20lb swap (I went here and they had the tanks right up front and ready to swap--in and out in 1 minute).
-GYOstuff in Cambridge: $26.95 for CO2 swap
-The Grow Hub in Littleton: said they should start stocking them in the coming weeks

In the past, I have also gone to Igo's and Keane--both of which took longer, were more particular about expiration dates on the tanks, and were much more expensive.

You just made me so happy. I never thought about going into Green Harvest, Its right down the street from my work.

Adding a fresh one to the list:

Marlboro Fire Extinguisher, Inc.
68 Washington Street
Marlboro, MA 01752-2227
508-481-4652
http://www.mfext.com

Located just off Main Street, they will do on-demand fills of CO2 and beer gas, and can do hydro certs.
They advised to give them a call before arrival to ensure there is a tech on premises for fills.
Price is competitive/just as bad as most places, a 5 pound cylinder fill is $25...

Cheers!

Adding a fresh one to the list:

Marlboro Fire Extinguisher, Inc.
68 Washington Street
Marlboro, MA 01752-2227
508-481-4652
http://www.mfext.com

Located just off Main Street, they will do on-demand fills of CO2 and beer gas, and can do hydro certs.
They advised to give them a call before arrival to ensure there is a tech on premises for fills.
Price is competitive/just as bad as most places, a 5 pound cylinder fill is $25...

Cheers!
THanks for that - I've been considering getting a tank, but holding off a bit for fills versus swap-outs. Strange Brew does fills, but they're closing down in the next couple weeks. The only other place I know that does fills is in Waltham - forget the name offhand, but on 117, right near 128.
There's a hydroponic place in Framingham that does swap-outs - why would I buy a brand-new tank just to swap it for someone's busted-ass one that's a week from expiring.

If they try to give you one that is a week out from the hydro expiring ask for another. No reputable distributor would refuse that request. If you just feel the need to have bright shiny new tanks than buy two and change them one for one. Some of my scuba tanks are 20 years old and look it and I go one hundred plus feet under the ocean with complete confidence in them.

Question - do all of these places put 20# in a 20# tank, or do they put in 18#?

I didn't go to Prazair. I don't want my tank swaped since my tank is new.

I assume they would charge you for a cert if your tank was expired.

Usually a siphon tube equipped cylinder will be painted a special color or be tagged in some way.
From the video I'd say that's not a siphon tube-equipped cylinder, unless it's virtually empty.
Siphon tanks are usually special-purchase - meaning you'd know it if you bought one :)

Cheers!

I bought it as a siphon tank. I am just wondering if it is normally for the liquid to so instantly turn to gas. The tank has 20 lbs in it.

Attachments

• E5534B01-FC53-44BF-8A65-E0E30F2CBF5B.jpeg
    E5534B01-FC53-44BF-8A65-E0E30F2CBF5B.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 19
Ah, well, ok, I've never seen anyone blasting an actual siphon tank into the atmosphere, and confess to have not thought out what one should expect. But, yeah, assuming you were just cracking the valve, CO2 will instantly transition from liquid to vapor at atmospheric pressure. I'm not even sure you could observe liquid CO2 with the valve cranked - if only because of the epic vapor cloud that would envelope everything :)

Cheers!

My experience is with DustOff. It is not C02 but turning it upside down clearly sprays liquid.

Praxir is about 1/3 that price for a 20# swap. $23.

Putting in a positive word for MaineOxy. Their tanks have a sticker on them identifying them as registered with them and if it's in cert or not, they just swap it out. Like someone else on here, I had been given a couple of OLD 20# tanks long out of cert. I paid a one time cert fee and they gave me full aluminum 20# tanks. It's come in handy when selling tanks as well because the value of it isn't impacted by if it's in cert or not. The place I go to also understands that you're not using it in an industrial application and try to give you a good looking tank.

Does anyone know if Marlboro Fire is filling tanks?
I just got a 10# tank, I sent them an email asking, and what the price it for the fill, and
the reply was very vague. I'm going to call on Monday, but wanted to check and see if anyone has an answer.

They are. But you need to schedule a visit if you want a demand fill.

I actually went over there a bit over a week ago to get a cylinder filled that I was pretty sure was going to need a new hydro cert but wasn't positive - the friggin' date codes they stamp on these things are often less than comprehensible. I was right - it was overdue - and learned they don't do hydro tests but send tanks out instead. Takes a couple of weeks under "normal" circumstances so who knows. Fortunately I have two other cylinders (three gas systems) and with a bit of strategy can get by while the gears turn.

Anyway...definitely call first to make sure they'll have a tech on site. They are actually very nice folks there...

Cheers!

They are. But you need to schedule a visit if you want a demand fill.

I actually went over there a bit over a week ago to get a cylinder filled that I was pretty sure was going to need a new hydro cert but wasn't positive - the friggin' date codes they stamp on these things are often less than comprehensible. I was right - it was overdue - and learned they don't do hydro tests but send tanks out instead. Takes a couple of weeks under "normal" circumstances so who knows. Fortunately I have two other cylinders (three gas systems) and with a bit of strategy can get by while the gears turn.

Anyway...definitely call first to make sure they'll have a tech on site. They are actually very nice folks there...

Cheers!

Thanks, I appreciate that.
I figured I would have to make an appointment, but they could have had a little more info in the reply email, even just, "yes, we're filling tanks, but you need to call....etc etc tech, social distance, etc. "

Thanks, I appreciate that.
I figured I would have to make an appointment, but they could have had a little more info in the reply email, even just, "yes, we're filling tanks, but you need to call....etc etc tech, social distance, etc. "
as a belated update, I got my tank and had it filled there. $25 for a 10lb tank, I called up, confirmed the tech was there. Went over, knocked on the door, and the guy double checked the cert date, took it in and was back in 5 minutes. Super quick and easy.

For those in the happy valley, I just got a tank swap at 'Here We Grow' in Hadley MA for ~$25 for a 20lb tank. They don't check dates etc..

as a belated update, I got my tank and had it filled there. $25 for a 10lb tank, I called up, confirmed the tech was there. Went over, knocked on the door, and the guy double checked the cert date, took it in and was back in 5 minutes. Super quick and easy.

Happy to read this, thanks for posting it...

Cheers!

Yes, Gorham Fire Equipment, Quincy, $12! DMI in Boston (Readville) $18.

Latest posts

Back