1st All Grain CO3C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLMCHENRY

Reaction score
Finally got to do my first all grain brew. What a mess of a day, but in the end I'm pretty sure I'm stall gonna have made beer.

I made a 5-gallon batch of the CO3C recipe from this forum.
I used 6lbs of 2-row 2.5lbs of flaked corn and 1lb of instant rice
90 minute boil with .5oz crystal .5oz Willamette @ 60 minutes.

90 minute mash in 5 gallon igloo set up @ 152 was the plan but it started at 153 and ended after 90 minutes @ 149.
This is where the fun started. My mash screen at the bottom of the mlt broke off so I had to drain the wort from the mlt through a colander in to my boil pot. after I would drain the mlt I would dump the grain back in the mlt and sparge again, until I had a total pre-boil volume of 7.1 gallons. The wort was definitely pretty cloudy.

The boil when perfect and left me with 5.5 gallons of wort just as planned, but after cooling to 75 degrees my OG was 1.06 which was higher then my expected 1.046. I think it may have been due to the extra grain particles in the wort.?.

The wort tasted great so I'm assuming everything will be ok and that I will have some tasty brew in 6 weeks, but will probably will have to secondary it to clear it up some

Other then the whole mlt thing I had a blast!!! and am planing a 2nd brew soon

Are there any problems with the high OG, the 4 degree mash temp change, or the extra sediment that will affect this brew ? or need to correct?

THANKS!

I think you will be good. Those mash temps are no issue at all. As far a you OG being 1.060 not sure with your grain bill you could have achieved it so high. You are closer to your target then you think. You would be pushing a 6% beer with that gravity

Sediment will drop out. 152 to 149 nice and fermentable. Will finish dry and refreshing although a little high in alcohol. If you have clarity issues, cold crash or try Super-kleer kc works really well. If you haven't pitched yet you could pitch a yeast with less attenuation so it doesn't turn into rocket fuel.

Do you all think that that much sediment in the wort could have thrown off my OG and made it seem higher then it really is? It didn't seem as sweet as the other high og worts I have had, but i don't know if a sweetness taste test can actually judge differences in gravitys.

Back