Wood or Metal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

Just wanted some input regarding building a stand of wood vs. metal. I don't know how to weld, and don't really have affordable access to someone who can. I like the look of some of the wood rigs I've seen out there, all stained and classy looking. I have the tools I need to work with wood. My concern is that the burners will destroy the wood, cause it to catch fire, etc. With a metal rig, I also worry that heat transfer through the metal could become a problem, what with damaging pumps, wiring, or just burning people who may inadvertantly touch the frame.

Is wood a viable option? If so, how can I shield the frame?:confused:

If you can weld then go for a nice powdercoated metal frame. If you can't weld, a wooden frame with metal shelves for the burners works too. Also, you've got more finish options with wood (painting, staining, sealing, etc). It really boils down to how much time you want to put into it.

Also, the wood will be much heavier than the metal, that's important if the stand needs to move.

I kinda like the look of the wood...especially when it's stained. Yeah, wood can definitely be heavy....casters are a must!

I'm wondering if maybe I can create a ring-shaped tin/stainless heat shield around the burner that might come up an inch or two on the keg in order to provide stability as well. How do most guys support a full keg above the burner? Is there a grate, or just a square frame that the keggle sits on?

Back