When to bottle a Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
After one week in the primary, and a very active initial blast-off, I've still got a half inch krausen and slow but sure airlock activity. This is my first Hefe. Should I rack to secondary or let it sit? Should I secondary at all, or just bottle from the primary when it's done? Thanks guys - Ev

I believe the secondary is used more for clearing. I prefer my hefe to be cloudy, so i bottle straight from the primary. Check you gravity a few days in a row to see if fermentation has finished and you are good to go.

I'm sure someone who has thrown their hefe in a secondary can tell you what that does to the hefe.

Evets said:
After one week in the primary, and a very active initial blast-off, I've still got a half inch krausen and slow but sure airlock activity. This is my first Hefe. Should I rack to secondary or let it sit? Should I secondary at all, or just bottle from the primary when it's done? Thanks guys - Ev
Secondaries are great for 99.9% of all beers. Even hefe's can benefit.

HOWEVER...if your hydro readings are consant for 2-3 days, just bottle it. Afterall, drinking a good beer sooner, is better than drinking it later....:rockin:

tomek322 said:
I believe the secondary is used more for clearing. I prefer my hefe to be cloudy, so i bottle straight from the primary. Check you gravity a few days in a row to see if fermentation has finished and you are good to go.

I'm sure someone who has thrown their hefe in a secondary can tell you what that does to the hefe.

Like Biermuncher said, most any beers will benefit. We just like to rack to secondary to get it off the yeast/hops from primary, that and have less crap on the bottom to possibly suck into the bottling bucket when we go to bottle.

Back