Keggle purchase. Welded couplers arent threaded?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udt89

Reaction score
I bought three keggles from a local brewer. All three have welded couplers and I just assumed they were threaded. They aren't, smooth as a baby's butt inside.

What do I need to buy to put ball valves on them? I can post a pic later if necessary

Here's a couple pics......

ForumRunner_20120227_081531.jpg

ForumRunner_20120227_081555.jpg

You did better than threaded, the tri clamps you have are what everyone wants.

Sweet. To bad one keg doesn't have one like I thought. It has a ball valve already attached and the opening is a quite a bit smaller

I think im going to use the one without the tri clamp as my HLT. I have a two tier stand and the HLT is directly above the mash tun and boil kettle, which are side by side.

I also plan to get one pump, for now, and plate chiller. What fittings would you recommend? Links?

Just a thought, but I think using the keggle w/ the smallest opening on the MLT would work best. Using a pump I move strike water from my HLT to my MLT at wide open pressure but recirc and drain from my MLT into my BK pretty slowly. Why not use the bottleneck where you don't flow wide open anyway?

Just a thought, but I think using the keggle w/ the smallest opening on the MLT would work best. Using a pump I move strike water from my HLT to my MLT at wide open pressure but recirc and drain from my MLT into my BK pretty slowly. Why not use the bottleneck where you don't flow wide open anyway?

Maybe I'm not following you. Use the pump from my MLT to BK with the MLT being the smaller opening. I can do that having two different openings and a pump in between? I just figured draining the water in via gravity the time to move it wasnt all a big deal.

The size of the ports don't have to match when connecting to a pump, the you just have to make sure you have the same size connecter on the ball valve and pump and tri-clamp so the hose fits on both ends.

Gravity draining works fine but my point was that however you move your strike and sparge water, gravity or pump, the bigger the port the faster the water flows. I mean it's not that much difference but if you will rarely if ever drain your mash tun wide open why not use the bigger opening where it would get used?

Back