Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the Delaware county section of Ardmore, so I basically live in Havertown too... great place to live!

Glad you liked it Milldoggy! Have you made it to either Forest and Main or Round Guys? I've been meaning to head out that way, just haven't gotten the opportunity yet.

Just checking in. My name is Joe and I live in Norristown. I also work at Keystone Homebrew which is maybe the best job I've ever had. Just noticed there was a locals thread on here...

Gitmoe said:
Just checking in. My name is Joe and I live in Norristown. I also work at Keystone Homebrew which is maybe the best job I've ever had. Just noticed there was a locals thread on here...

Hey Joe
I too am in Norristown. I go to keystone Homebrew. It is pretty cool LHBS. Great atmosphere very friendly and helpful staff.

Also checking in. My name is also Joe. I don't work at a homebrew store, however.

Morrisville, Lower Bucks

So, how'd you guys do at Malt Madness? GLUB Club swept Fruit Beers! Woo hoo!

Surprisingly, I won Light Lagers and BOS overall with my Root Cellar Helles. It was brewed at my apartment in Philly, fermented in the basement of a farm, then lagered for 4 months in the Root Cellar at the same farm. It was a crap-shoot but the beer turned out great.

Interestingly, there was no 'gradual' drop to lagering temp. Fermentation started at around 60 until it took off, then put in the basement at around 48-50, then I did a diacetyl rest for 2 weeks by putting it in the upstairs of the farm-house, then put it in the 30-35 degree root cellar. I've never made a lager before and everything everyone told me was that it wouldn't really work. Boy were they wrong.

Awesome, congrats! We've got to get to brewin this weekend. Maybe we can flood the categories like the guy that is running away with the Eastern PA Homebrewer of the Year standings. He's got a beer in almost every category (in every competition)!

I see you're one point behind us! :D

Awesome, congrats! We've got to get to brewin this weekend. Maybe we can flood the categories like the guy that is running away with the Eastern PA Homebrewer of the Year standings. He's got a beer in almost every category (in every competition)!

I see you're one point behind us! :D

Thanks! I've actually met and spoke with Josh at an event, he's the president of my friend's homebrew club. He's a super knowledgeable guy and I had him sample a few of my beers, got some good constructive feedback from him and some other BJCP judges. The key to winning these things is brewing to style. Most of my beers don't fit well in a particular style, as I normally brew what I want the beer to taste like, not to style. But, with a lager like a Helles, you kinda have to be in style because what I look for in a Helles is exactly what the style is. (not sure if that last sentence makes sense or not)

Looks like he'll be taking home the win this year for homebrewer of the year. They next/last event is his own brew-clubs so I'm sure he'll be entering a ton of beers.

Oh, i'm not saying he isn't super knowledgeable, or a bad brewer (obviously). Just that he has a beer that places in at least half the categories in all of the comps in the area! That's a crapload of beer!

Oh, i'm not saying he isn't super knowledgeable, or a bad brewer (obviously). Just that he has a beer that places in at least half the categories in all of the comps in the area! That's a crapload of beer!

Oh I was just relaying that I met him and was super-impressed with how much knowledge he had, not saying you were implying differently. :mug:

I think BUZZ is out that way (meet at the Iron Hill in West Chester I beleive), or there is the Mainline Homebrewers. But I don't know anything about either of them. We're up in Chestnut Hill, which isn't exactly around the corner for you.

Joe I got a true brew bottling bucket from keystone and the damn thing leaks. Can I exchange it? Sorry to be talking shop but I was pissed earlier today when I was sanitizing my bucket and the star San water mix was oozing onto my counter.

So basically do you guys take returns and swaps?

Joe I got a true brew bottling bucket from keystone and the damn thing leaks. Can I exchange it? Sorry to be talking shop but I was pissed earlier today when I was sanitizing my bucket and the star San water mix was oozing onto my counter.

So basically do you guys take returns and swaps?

yeah of course. I hate to ask but... are you sure the spigot is installed correctly? Is it leaking from the bulkhead seals or at the bottom part of the spigot at the valve? Feel free to stop by. I'm in Wednesday and Friday the rest of the week. Any of the guys can help you out though. We'll get you bottleing again.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Baltimore? Did you order online? I'm one of the shipping guys too. Can't remember if we sent any buckets that way recently....

yeah of course. I hate to ask but... are you sure the spigot is installed correctly? Is it leaking from the bulkhead seals or at the bottom part of the spigot at the valve? Feel free to stop by. I'm in Wednesday and Friday the rest of the week. Any of the guys can help you out though. We'll get you bottleing again.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Baltimore? Did you order online? I'm one of the shipping guys too. Can't remember if we sent any buckets that way recently....

I split my time between Baltimore and New Hope Pa. I will check the spigot again but I think I'm good there.

yeah of course. I hate to ask but... are you sure the spigot is installed correctly?

This was the problem and I am an idiot.

All good. Glad it worked out. Sometimes you just need somebody to ask the simple questions. lol

You get used to breaking problems down back to the craziest things when working in a LHBS. "...Did you remember to put the yeast in?"

Since when do I need yeast? I was wondering why all of my brews were really sweet and really flat. I thought I was making the worlds most expensive McDonald's sweet tea.

dfess1 said:

I've never even met Josh, but he has given me advice and answered questions I've had about brewing quite a few times! He has even shared with my homebrew club (not even his own) how he brews, and offered tips on how to cut homebrew costs while still making great beer.

He encourages others to enter their beers in competitions all the time! You can only get credit for what... 4 entry's in the standings per competition anyway right?

I don't understand why jealousy always has to rear it's ugly head and try to tarnish another's hard work and skill?

Brew better beer. I don't know what else to say.

I don't understand why jealousy always has to rear it's ugly head and try to tarnish another's hard work and skill?

I just re-read those posts and don't see where you are picking up jealousy. :confused: It seems like he was just saying that Josh submitted a lot of entries (true) and a lot of them placed because Josh makes great beer (true).

stblindtiger said:
I've never even met Josh, but he has given me advice and answered questions I've had about brewing quite a few times! He has even shared with my homebrew club (not even his own) how he brews, and offered tips on how to cut homebrew costs while still making great beer.

He encourages others to enter their beers in competitions all the time! You can only get credit for what... 4 entry's in the standings per competition anyway right?

Brew better beer. I don't know what else to say.

Dfess wasn't being jealous or anything that I can tell just saying he brews a lot of beer which he does.(he has summers off but you didn't hear that from me) Josh is the president of the stoney creek homebrewers of which I am a member and he is a good guy, if Dfess was being rude i'd be the first to give him hell.

I just got back the missing score sheet from my Rye PA and it got a 41! It was the highest of my scores from the competition but because it was in the Specialty category I'm sure there were some much higher scores there.

Hey, my name is Pete and I live in Langhorne, PA. I've been All-Grain Brewing for 2 years now and won a handful of awards doing it. I love competing and brewing on my days off. I currently do 2 x 10 gallon batches per brewday and keg all my beers with my 3-Tier Brewstand. I love anything with the name Blichmann on it and if I could sponsor any product, that would be it. I also bartend at PHL airport in Terminal F to help make flying more interesting. I meet a lot of homebrewers there!

PeckerWood said:
Hey, my name is Pete and I live in Langhorne, PA. I've been All-Grain Brewing for 2 years now and won a handful of awards doing it. I love competing and brewing on my days off. I currently do 2 x 10 gallon batches per brewday and keg all my beers with my 3-Tier Brewstand. I love anything with the name Blichmann on it and if I could sponsor any product, that would be it. I also bartend at PHL airport in Terminal F to help make flying more interesting. I meet a lot of homebrewers there!

Where in term F? It is a mess now

Where in term F? It is a mess now

...for another year, but right now I bartend at the temporary bar at Gate F-11 called Re:vive. It's nothing spectacular and the food is already premade and reheated in a convection oven, since we don't even have any plumbing. Pretty good beer selection though, and its better than no bar at all. In January, our bar will relocate again near F-24, and by next summer a huge bar called Local will be finished construction. That will be nice!

We'll be there. Is there any further details on this, like when we can show up on the 27th?

I don't know what time we're opening yet. I'll ask tomorrow and post back. I'm off today.

Talked to the boss today. We'll be open at 9am for the barrel brew but brewers can come before that. We'll have power and water lines run outside the night before. Most of the employees will be there by 8am. At least I will be. I always go in early. Especially for such a crazy day. Like to ease into the madness...

Back