Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im selling a really nice cooler mash tun and a huge stainless fermentation vessel. Check the classifieds...

Happy holiday! I spent the morning flipping kegs on my bar system at home to be ready for crazy rowdy party tonight.

Also, I brewed a 1.072 OG DIPA last monday and this morning Mangrove Jack West Coast had taken it down to 1.006 in 5 days. I was blown away. I've never gotten attenuation like that out of 1056 or US-05. The beer is super clean. Crazy hop profile. I used 12oz of hops in the boil and I'm gonna use another 4oz cascade to dry hop in the keg for an even 1lb of hops in the 5 gallon batch. I've found that's the magic number for a big IPA.

Happy brewing!
We brewed our brown ale yesterday in the downpour. Pitched the Mangrove on 1.052 wort. Looking forward to seeing how quickly that finishes...

Anybody interested in a stainless 12 tap glycol chilled tower? I brought this one him earlier today. It needs a new home. I don't think I can convince my wife to let me build the cold box I'd need to use this thing...

IMG_20130903_121407_zps955f4969.jpg

IMG_20130903_121421_zps92813b5c.jpg

Retails for right around $1,300 Make me an offer if you're interested...

FreddyMar3 said:
Anyone going to the MLBA meeting tomorrow?

I'm there, with plenty of Oktoberfest.

The meeting is at 7 pm at Flip & Bailey's (900 Conestoga Rd, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010). There's burger and beer specials, and we will be sampling Oktoberfest beers. The meeting is open to all, and feel free to bring commercial or homebrew fest beers (and all other homebrews).

Awesome! I helped with the design work with the contractor on that job. I offered them a discount if they could get me store credit, but I was laughed at :(

Were you thinking cubes or chips? Personally I age cubes in Woodford reserve a few weeks prior to adding to a long secondary. I've got one sitting there as we speak. A month in ad its getting tasty.

BeerMeDuffMan said:
Were you thinking cubes or chips? Personally I age cubes in Woodford reserve a few weeks prior to adding to a long secondary. I've got one sitting there as we speak. A month in ad its getting tasty.

1.5 oz Medium toasted American oak chips
2 Madagascar whole vanilla beans, split and cut up
4oz 12 year old Jameson

Already have this combo marinating in a mason jar in the fridge. Not sure when I want to add it. I wanted to bulk age in secondary, but I worry about either having the oak in too long or oxidizing the beer by adding the oak to the secondary down the road.

1.5 oz Medium toasted American oak chips
2 Madagascar whole vanilla beans, split and cut up
4oz 12 year old Jameson

Already have this combo marinating in a mason jar in the fridge. Not sure when I want to add it. I wanted to bulk age in secondary, but I worry about either having the oak in too long or oxidizing the beer by adding the oak to the secondary down the road.

There's a bit of debate as to the old style RIS and oxidizing. When shipped in oak barrels, the oak breathes, so there would be a tad bit of oxidizing, which really adds to the flavor. When using oak chips, the extraction happens relatively quick, within two weeks. The reason I was using the cubes is you get more of a flavor profile from various toasts that happen on the cubes, whereas the chips are toasted very evenly. The only downside to that is the extraction takes much longer. Make sure to taste test it every few days with chips so you don't over oak it to make it taste like lumber. I also wouldn't add the soaking solution to your brew as that may exasperate that. You could add more whiskey to the brew a bit at a time after you get your desired oak levels, and throwing in a vanilla bean in the secondary from the soak couldn't hurt, either.
Does this help out?

also, forgot to mention, take that jar from the fridge and put it somewhere warm. You get better profiles that way as the soak takes faster with a few extra degrees of heat.

Ok so my game plan now is to pour off the whiskey, add the oak and vanilla to secondary, rack the beer on top, let sit for two weeks, then add whiskey to taste at bottling and bottle age for 3-4 months.

Sound like a good plan?

Hoping this is ready for War of the Worts in February.

That sounds like an excellent plan! I would taste check after the first 5 days and every 2 days after that to be sure that you get the right profile.

I've been using Jack Daniels oak chips and haven't noticed a drastic oak effect from two weeks in secondary after soaking in bourbon for a bit. Maybe I just need to up the amounts I'm using, but the cubes may be a much better option.

I'm loving the cubes. I had done chips before on an IPA and it tasted good albeit a tad one dimensional in oak flavor. The cubes I'm using now are Hungarian with multiple toasts so there is a very big profile...its just taking longer. I'm OK with the time frame...a stout this big is definitely a winter beer.

Ok, so I jumped to gun and popped my two bottle conditioning beers early for a family party. Just opened a few but here is my feedback. I really liked the Saison. It was tasty and all tasters agreed. I did not like the Simcoe IPA. It may just need time but I would rate it B+. I may just not like that hop flavor and/or it needs more time.

Is it Weyerbacher Double Simcoe? Try one more bottle and try it very cold. Anything with hefty Simcoe has alot of onion upfront if its warm. I thought I didn't like Hopslam at first for that reason.

It was just a single hop IPA with Simcoe. I'll let it sit for another week then try them again. I was also pretty drunk when I drank them.

I've been using Jack Daniels oak chips and haven't noticed a drastic oak effect from two weeks in secondary after soaking in bourbon for a bit. Maybe I just need to up the amounts I'm using, but the cubes may be a much better option.

I used chips on a dubbel I made last year, and their contribution was pretty faint. I only soaked them for a week, though. I thought they'd present more surface area, so they'd be better than cubes, but now I'm wondering if maybe volume is more important than surface area.

Most recipes call for and ounce of smaller chips in secondary. I use 3 ounces of cubes that have soaked for at least a month for flavoring properties.

I use 3oz of chips per 5 gallons when I want to oak a beer. Usually 5-7 days is more than enough to impart the oak character I'm looking for....

Thanks for that. I should have written down how much I used, but I think it was less that that. Maybe 2 oz for 4 gallons. I'll try more next time, since I've got plenty left.

Oops, I accidently drop 4 hours out of my way to buy a kegerator with 3 cornies for a GREAT deal today. Got it from the For Sale forum. $175 got me a fridge, 2 taps system, 3 cornies, spare parts, cleaner, and more!

Tennesseean, Right now I don't really. I have 5 cases conditioning and will be brewing 3 batches in the next 2 weeks. 2 of those will go into the kegs but the 3rd gets bottled.

Oops, I accidently drop 4 hours out of my way to buy a kegerator with 3 cornies for a GREAT deal today. Got it from the For Sale forum. $175 got me a fridge, 2 taps system, 3 cornies, spare parts, cleaner, and more!

I'm glad someone scooped up that killer deal. The thought crossed my mind when I saw the post but I think my girlfriend would kill me.

Looks like the Ikea shelving, my neighbor has it lining his walls in his basement/brew room Its really great.

He even uses it as a stand for his electric set up.

Back