Pumpkin Saison Anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Brew pal and I are doing a Barleywine tomorrow and we are looking to use the 2nd runnings and some other stuff to throw together a Saison. I was thinking of using about a small can of pumkin in it..
Question is add it in the last 10 minutes or at the 60 minute mark??
Advice Please!!!!:ban:

I mashed my pumpkin this year, but last year I boiled it for 60 minutes. I got far more pumpkin "flavors" from the spices I used after the fact. 1 can won't hurt. The last 10 minutes or less would be good too.

I would say for maximum pumpkin flavor I would used canned pumpkin (maybe pumpkin pie mix if you want some spices in there just be sure it's clear of potassium sorbate which inhibits yeast growth), add 3-5 standard cans to a secondary, rack over it and let it ferment out what it can from the pumpkin "slurry" while picking up pumpkin flavors. I wouldn't worry too much about clarity being a Saison but I have a feeling it will heavily affect it.

Seems like a clash of flavor/texture to me... but it's an original idea as far as I know and I'm intrigued if you do it.

As I look at the idea of a Saison it is a farmhouse ale and therefore I say why not use pumpkin. I will give an update to this thread on the results. It will certainly be something that we most likely will not be able to repeat as it will be a witches brew of leftover stuff.

hbhudy said:
As I look at the idea of a Saison it is a farmhouse ale and therefore I say why not use pumpkin. I will give an update to this thread on the results. It will certainly be something that we most likely will not be able to repeat as it will be a witches brew of leftover stuff.

Saison is the essence of "hell just throw it in" your just feeding it the farm hands anyway.

The new brewery here in Richmond, Hardywood Park, came out with a Farmhouse Pumpkin ale as one of their premier beers. It was pretty tasty, but it had a bit too much clove for me. I'd say if you use spices with a saison yeast, avoid/limit the spices that have the same flavors as what the yeast might produce.

Using Perle-Hops for Bittering and Saaz-Hops for flavor.. Using some coriander in the last 5-minutes

Back