Drilling a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fire away !! (assuming it's a chest freezer). I did it last night, and it really helped the temp and humidity in my ferm chamber !

I've never made a chest freezer kegerator, did the fridge thing but from what I've read on HBT the top of freezer have no cooling lines running through it so pretty much anywhere on the top is fine. Sides you would have to worry about cooling lines. Do a search on HBT, there are many threads on the subject. Also check out youtube; many videos on how to make a chest freezer kegerator.

I've done one chest freezer. I believe it was a GE brand. I drilled through the top with no issues. You should be able to easily see if there are any coolant lines running through there or not.

Putting taps on top of a freezer can cause some problems. One, it's hard to keep the lines cool so you'll probably pour a lot of foam. Second, when you need to open the freezer you may have to move it away from the wall or your taps will hit.
I started with a tower on top of mine, but after a year I built a wooden collar instead and mounted my taps in it. I'm very glad I did that, especially when it comes to opening the freezer.

Back